Saturday, July 06, 2013

Home in Virginia

At last I am back in Virginia. I returned home a week ago after a plane trip that was not ideal. My connecting flight in Newark, NJ was cancelled and I was lucky to get a hotel room, thanks to my husband who procured it for me. The airlines said they ran out of hotel vouchers and lots of people spent the night at the airport. I won't use this format to complain, just use your imagination. 

We have had lots of rain, but fortunately it dried up for the 4th of July and people were able to enjoy the beach and the fireworks without getting rained on. I did not go. Without having our kids here I don't feel much incentive to brave the crowds. I was just happy to be home. 

 I finally got going on this darling sampler project from Primitive Gatherings. I have had the kit for a while and recently Anne at Cottons and Wool blog showed her finished sampler. It got me moving to finish mine. It is wool on cotton applique. The hardest part is the prep work, which is what slows me down every time. But seriously, it wasn't that bad.

I had a blogging friend come to visit on Wednesday! What fun to meet another blogger face to face. This is Joan Parker from Keeping You in Stitches. Joan is a mover and a shaker. She has raised eight children and she is still going strong! She is a prolific quiltmaker! These are two quilt tops that she brought to show me. They are great! The top is made from plaid shirts ala Bonnie Hunter. The flying geese quilt has very small geese that were the ends of binding strips, etc. All paper pieced into this beauty. It was great fun to talk and share our quilts, etc. Quilters just connect with no problem, don't you think?

I'll be back again with more. Enjoy summer! We waited so long for it this year!


7 comments:

Janet O. said...

I saw that little sampler on Anne's blog. It is beautiful! I want to get that pattern now, but I just recently cleaned out my "Primitive Gatherings" drawer and I have scads of her patterns I haven't used yet. I need to make a few before I can feel good about ordering more. : )
So nice of you to host Joan, and fun that the two of you could connect IRL. I saw your picture on her blog--and the little top you gifted her. Very sweet!

Kyle said...

Glad you're back home. A little cooler there than Az. (I hope so anyway)

Katie said...

Glad you finally got home ok! I find myself more and more loathe to travel. Sigh.

Love your sampler. Primitive Gatherings has such great patterns. :-)

Lori said...

Gorgeous Sampler!! I love Joans quilts, esp. the black background one.

Karen said...

Nice seeing a post from you. I am glad to see you delving into wool applique. Those letters look like it would take some time cutting out but the end result very good.

I like the quilt top made with the flying geese units best. How nice to get to meet a fellow blogger in person.

Melanie said...

I've seen the pattern A hundred times--- It's your photos that bring it to life.I always remember your Blackbird Designs Alphabet Sampler several years ago (so impressive never forgotten) The book isn't even in print anymore. Prepping those tiny pieces would probably be my demise... Just keep thinking about the end result...and I so love the handstitching part....

Libby said...

My worst travel experience involves Newark airport, too. If I didn't already have it on my 'avoid in every way possible' I surely would do so now.