Saturday, August 18, 2012

Beautiful Blues

 I saw this picture of a spongeware pitcher, below,  on Pinterest and got very excited! It is exactly like one that belonged to my great-grandmother that I am now lucky enough to possess. 
It has always been one of my favorite things!

When I followed the link to the page where this pitcher was listed it gave it and the soap dish a value of $380.  I would never sell mine because I am sentimentally attached!  I don't have the soap dish, but I do have mine happily arranged with other items of blue. 

These dishes, the Spode, belonged to my husband's mother. I add little things here and there to the arragement, like the little antique oval dish and the tea pot and pitcher. I have a weakness for pitchers, I must confess. The angel, by Jim Shore, travels around the china cabinet blessing all within. Kinda pretty, isn't it?
 
 Also displayed in the cabinet is a baby dish that was used by my husband's father who is 88 years old, and his siblings. I nested a little bird on the ledge. The cookie jar is an antique that my mom picked up somewhere and gave me many years ago. They are resting on a vintage doll quilt that I believe is from the late 1800's. 
This plate above is a newcomer to my collection. I picked it up at an antique store in Pillager, MN when we were there recently. How do you like the name Pillager? I never gave it any thought until we were there this past July, and then I became curious about what got pillaged. Hmmm. I must do a little research on that!


4 comments:

Janet said...

You have some very pretty things on display! I'd love to get a better look at that doll quilt :0) Maybe you posted about it before?

sewprimitive karen said...

Really pretty. Have always loved spongeware but I don't believe I have a single piece. Must have picked up a thousand spongeware cups at antique shows but none came home unfortunately.

*karendianne. said...

Oh such pretty things on display. I didn't know about spongeware, Marcie. This was an enjoyable post. Thanks for sharing.

VickiT said...

Hello ~ I'm new here after seeing a link to a quilt pattern for the tree table topper.

I saw this post and had to comment because I too have a child feeding dish that was my Great Grandfather's and came from England. I was told it was a porridge dish that was used for him when he was a baby. It's such a unique shape with the indentation on the side to help hold onto the bowl with the way your finger fits so nicely into that indentation. I have never seen anyone else post a picture of that type 'bowl' much less say they also owned one. I thought that was pretty cool to see someone else have one too so I had to comment. The one I have has a picture of Momma Bunny and her bunny babies in a little shop.