Tuesday, September 09, 2008

STARS AND GARTERS part II

In my last post I asked if any of you had heard the expression, "Oh my stars and garters". Well I had quite a mixed response, and I loved hearing that at least a few of you knew the expression. Here is what Di had to say on the subject:

"Absolutely! I've heard it all my life and I googled it and here is probably where it came from: http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/55/messages/588.html ". I hadn't thought to google the expression, but Di did. Thanks Di! Good to know!
(Di doesn't have a blog, or I would link to it. Are you planning to join us soon Di?)


The photo here is one I swiped from the blog of our LQS, What's Your Stitch N Stuff. It shows my pattern, Stars and Garters, being assembled by Sue at the shop. I hope you can enlarge the photo and see how she placed that cool Coverlet print in the center of the stars. I haven't got a picture of the whole quilt, but she did complete it. Awesome! So often simple quilts are the best!

Now how many of you have heard the expletive, "Great Caesar's ghost"? Where has our imagination of expression gone? These days all I hear is "holy crap". What fun is that?

Have a happy scrappy day!

10 comments:

Paula said...

How funny!!! Sue's quilt is looking good. Wish WE could see the finished quilt!!! LOL I love that quilt.

And, sure, I've heard the saying "Great Caesar's ghost"! But, it's not used much, is it?

Libby said...

I do remember Great Caesar's Ghost - did someone on television say that?

Sherry said...

That was from Superman (the original) & I used to watch it when I was a kid.

I think the phrase was said by the Editor of the newspaper that Clark Kent worked for. . . .hmmmm, guess I better Goggle it to find out if I'm correct!!

S.

Anonymous said...

Heard both 'Oh My Stars and Garters' and 'Great Caesar's Ghost'. That was one way to fuss without cursing!

Di said...

I think we're dating ourselves with these great classic sayings, LOL!

Sure, I have a blog - http://www.needlemarket.com/quiltedmoments . Come on over and say hi! I get lonely over there. Of course, after ya'll read my inane prattlings you'll probably understand why *laughing*.

Di

Anonymous said...

I have heard Oh my stars and garters - in fact, I have even used garters once or twice. =) I love your interpretation of it in this pattern.

I've also heard Great Ceasar's Ghost and can hardly wait to see if you interpret that one!

Karen said...

I was thinking that Oh My Stars & Garters had something to do with buntings for the 4th of July.
I visited your father's blog the other day. I know where you got your sense of humor.

pam said...

Great Ceaser's Ghost. Perry White from Superman. Love your blog by the way.

sewprimitive karen said...

Marcie, what section of What's Your Stitch n Stuff has the picture? The link goes to the main page and I don't see a pic.

Karen said...

I also have heard the stars and garter expression. The great Ceasar's ghost was the editor on the Superman program-a great memory-when good always triumphed over evil. Love the bloq!