Wednesday, August 01, 2007

BRIGHT IDEAS

Have you ever scheduled a class to teach and you haven't made the quilt yet? Well that is what I did yesterday. I fiddled around with a new design last week and got all excited and went and scheduled it. I sure hope it looks as good in fabric as it does in my mind. Luckily my mind is assisted greatly by EQ6. I never was one to color in squares on graph paper, so EQ saves my life. While I was dreaming up projects, I went back into my EQ5 program to see what wonderful things I had left behind. I spent most of Monday clicking and clacking at the computer, changing the design a little here and then a little there. I made some blocks and then went back to the drawing board. I have an overall idea of what I am doing, I just keep fiddling to get it where I want it. Yesterday I went to buy fabric for these two projects. They are both going to use Judie Rothermel's new Christmas fabric. At least that will be the base, with a bunch of stash thrown in. I have a difficult time buying all my fabric for a quilt in one stop. I really am a stash quilter at heart. I can audition fabric all day to find the right look, but I go into a shop and am overwhelmed with the bigness of the bolts. I buy a little of this and a little of that, then take it home and throw it in the stash and it might be years before it comes out in just the right place. At the same time, some of the purchases never do surface and find their perfect place. I know, I should be doing string quilts, etc. And really, I want to. But I might need one of those pieces in the future when that color or texture can't be found anywhere but in the bottom of the box.

My daughter was here last week and we ran around and hit a few quilt shops. She likes the really cute brights with boats and bugs and bumblebees. There is a shop a few blocks from where I live that is strictly brights. It is a great little shop, if you are into the bright fabric. She is, I am not. The shop that I frequent the most specializes in CW repros and folk art and is on the other side of town. Figures, doesn't it?
This photo is my daughter and a quilt she made with my help a couple years ago. I was totally lost working in these wild colors, but in the end, it turned out really cute. Isn't funny how awkward we feel when we are out of our element? She left me with another wild one to finish up and get quilted for her. My kids still think that my life revolves around them. OK, OK it does. I just really need my own time and space on occasion. I intend to spend the rest of the day in my sewing room working on my own new ideas. Here's hoping...

For those of you who are interested in my Dad's stories, he posted a couple more. Click on his blog on the side bar. He thinks it is funny that anyone is interested. Leave a comment, or just say hi. He enjoys that.

10 comments:

Kim said...

Your daughter's quilt is beautiful--but I feel the same way about working with colors that are out of my comfort zone. I'd feel that way about brights, and I have a hard time with 30s repros too. I'm looking forward to seeing this quilt you're designing--sounds like fun!

Fiona said...

I think we all have our own colour comfort zones - though I've got to say that I am greedy - I want to make quilts out of the whole spectrum (well, it's one rationale for a humungous stash). I struggle to use browns, and yet if I see them in a quilt someone else has made I think they are fabulous.

Yvonne said...

I really like her quilt....brights are not something i use but I love them when I see them. I'm off to visit your Dad now....love the stories.

Leigh said...

Such a cute quilt.

Jeanne said...

Although I like the look of a bright quilt, I seldom work on quilts using those fabrics either unless it's for charity. Your DD's quilt is very cheery and obviously makes her happy.
Good luck with your new class. I look forward to seeing your sample.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I need to step out and immerse myself in lights and brights every so often, for me it seems to clean the palate. I'll stop by your dad's blog and say hello, glad he's doing well.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Wow, does your daughter's quilt glow in the dark too? Very sparkly.

Judy said...

I don't make the brights so much either anymore, but they were good for the nieces and nephews! Is the CW shop the one you teach at all the time? You must send me the name again so I can finally get my rump over there..it's the hour drive through the tunnel that stops me every time, but I desperately need an infusion of new CW pieces!

Love that EQ!

Susan said...

I guess I have a split personality. Sometimes I work in really bright fabrics, usually combined with black, and sometimes I'm in the CW repros.

I hate to admit it, but I've scheduled a class before I had the top finished, and once before I had it started!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Commit to teaching a class and not have a sample made? Who me? You bet! I'm always getting myself into those! In fact I stopped at the quilt store last weekend and they talked me into just that! Guess I had better think about getting a sample made huh! I haven't even picked the pattern yet!