Sunday, March 11, 2007

LOVIN' SPOOLFUL

Remember this quilt from a few months ago? I just got it back from my quilter friend and look what a nice job she did! Thanks Marae!
This is a design from Teri Christopherson, of Black Mountain Quilts. She does darling stuff! She has a very nice web site that shows all her books as well as the quilts in them. This one is from her book Sunflower Patch. Check 'em out! Don't you think every quilter should have a spool quilt for her very own?

Wednesday I got together with my two friends to work on our Home Sweet Home quilts. (The one pictured here is Alma Allen's from Blackbird Designs.) We are all at different stages at this point, but we love to get together and feed off each others energy. Since we met I have been in my sewing room choosing fabrics, etc.
After making a couple blocks, we decided it made more sense to choose all the house fabrics, and then accessorize with the trees, flowers, etc. This way it should be easier to coordinate the detail colors. We learn as we go, right? I am trying to get as much of this completed, or at least prepped, as I can while I have a momentum going.
My friend Joan figured out that it is easier to spray starch the edges and press them in place over the freezer paper templates than to glue them. Cut your template. Press it onto the back of the fabric. Trim to include a seam allowance. Spray the fabric edges and press over the edge of the paper. Remove the paper and give the shape one more press. This works for most shapes, and you don't have to cut the back to pull the paper out. I like it! We are all excited about this quilt! It was so gorgeous to see it in person. I hope some day I can show you MY finished quilt. It takes so much time, but I do enjoy the whole journey!

12 comments:

Libby said...

What a fun spool quilt. My very first quilt book was Patches and Posies by Teri Christopherson. I have made several of the projects from it over the years - she has a nice style.

Elaine Adair said...

I especially DO love that warm and friendly spool quilt. Nice job.

Vicky said...

Ooooh, I like the spools! I'll have to go digging for her book!

Great job!

Angie said...

I do love that spool quilt, girlfriend! So glad you have it home now...and with an excellent quilt job on it!! :D I also definitely think that all quilters should have their own spool quilt---and I bought that book JUST FOR this quilt, after I saw yours in the flimsy stage. Have I started it yet? Nooooo---but I will one of these days! LOL I adore that Home Sweet Home quilt, have that book too, ROFL, and love everything in it....but I love everything that Barb and Alma do! LOL I can't wait to see yours!

Mary Johnson said...

I love the spools - they on my list of quilts to make one day!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What beautiful quilts! Lovely to see on a Monday morning :o) The spools are very effective and your friend's houses are just lovely. makes me wnat to run out and buy the book...like I need more! LOL

The Calico Cat said...

Love that punny spool title! (I had one of those planned using striped fabrics... Not sure what happened in the mean time.)

You friend might be onto something using freezer paper and spray starch....

Darlene said...

When Sunflower Patch was first released I got super excited about that spool quilt and started collecting fabric to make one of my very own. And, until now I'd completely forgotten about it. I don't remember seeing yours in the flimsy stage either. I love Terri Christopherson's books and her sister Barbara Brandeburg has the same style and I've made several from many of their books. It's always fun to pull out their books and plan a new project. A Spool Quilt of my very own - yes every quilter should have a spool quilt.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

The spool quilt is so warm and wonderful... and the houses are fantastic; very impressive with all of the added applique elements!

CONNIE W said...

I really like the spool quilt - I like everything about it - the colors are warm and soft. It's got a touch of whimsy with the few sideways spools. :D

Unknown said...

A spool quilt is still on my to-do list. I started one some years ago, I wonder what happened to these blocks?! At any rate yours is beautiful and finished. Congratulations!

Simonetta said...

Wowww!!!Which more beautiful sign for us quilters if not the Spool?