Monday, July 31, 2006

BOYS CAN TOO!



















My 9 year old grandson gets in the act! Of course he gets pretty goofy when the camera comes out, but he is actually doing a good job sewing. This will be an on-going project for whenever I come to visit. We started it last trip. We had one block completed! He is already doing better than previously. Little boys are just as interested in this as their sisters. One time I was here he wanted to embroider and he actually sewed a Scoobydo picture in big outline stitches. They just need the right topic! Today we are working with cowboy fabric.
Sweet P commented on a shop nearby named Grubers. It is a fabulous shop! It is in St. Cloud, MN, about 30 minutes from here. They were in one of the top shop magazines a couple years ago. Another shop that I really like is 30 minutes in the other direction, in Rogers, MN. It is Quilted Treasures. They were also named a top shop not too long ago. These are the two shops I always visit when I am here. They are the closest, and fortunately, really good! Lots of choices and friendly staff. There are many other good shops if you can travel around a bit, but with grandchildren to tend to, our time for shop hopping is limited. Still very hot here, but the AC got fixed in the van, so yay!

13 comments:

Hanne said...

What lovely blocks - and a very proud block maker by the look of it. Thanks for sharing :-)

Joyce said...

It is so much fun sewing with grandchildren. GReat job.

quiltpixie said...

good job gran! My mother taught my son how to weave, and the basics of knitting when he enquired. Neither "took" but he at least has had an introduction...

Laurie Ann said...

That's cool! I wish I would have had a nice Grandma to show me stuff like that. He's a lucky boy!

Linda C said...

What a cutie pie and so proud of his blocks---understandably! Find some fabric that he likes and he is set to turn it into something cool.

Tracey said...

Well good for him!!! He's done a very fine job too! And, just think of all the memories you two are making! :o)

ForestJane said...

WTG on starting early with the next generation of quilters!

Juliann in WA said...

how fun for your grandson - my girls used to love making blocks when they were younger - now I have one who likes to sew clothes and another who just made some new pillows for her dorm room - great to pass on this skill
Juliann

Bonnie said...

What a cute grandson! And his blocks look great. What a nice grandma he has!

pat said...

Is that Jack??! Marcie--I feel so old!

Andrea said...

I love that he is interested in sewing/quilting. :) And he has such a proud look on his face!

Jenni said...

I'm interested to know how old your Grandson was when you started quilting together?

Carol E. said...

Super cute grandson! My son made a bed-size quilt for his girlfriend. At the time he was 18 and had done virtually no sewing except for the small pillow he made in junior high. He would not let me help! He did a fantastic job, and the quilt turned out beautiful. I was (and am) very proud of him.