Friday, May 22, 2009

WEBSITE WOES


I have an internet problem that is driving me nuts! I spent all yesterday afternoon trying to update my website! My website is a
Yahoo Sitebuilder program, and I have been very happy with the ease in which a novice like me can create and operate my own website. I have had it for several years. Recently, while at my daughter's house, I discovered that some of the links I have created don't work. They have an Apple computer and Firefox browser. When I came home I set about correcting the links and they wouldn't correct! Well, I had recently switched from Internet Explorer to Google Chrome. When I went back into IE, everything worked as it should.

So yesterday I needed to add my new pattern to my website. Somehow I was able to load page 5 in my pattern section, and create a couple of new page links. Yay! Then I decided to redo page one, as I thought the pictures needed brightening. I was messing with that all afternoon and could not get the new page to update! I tried again last night before I went to bed. Nothin'.

So, this morning I opened
IE and went to my website and there it was! The new page one! I was pleased and puzzled at the same time. So I closed IE and opened Firefox. (Oh, I didn't mention that Granddaughter Becky insisted that I must have Firefox on my computer because it is so much better) Well the blooming page still wasn't there on my website when I opened it in Firefox! What the heck?

So I ask you, am I doing something wrong, or do all these browsers just not play nice together? I could go back to using only
Internet Explorer, but then would other people using my website still have trouble connecting to links? Do I need to hire a professional website designer? Would that make a difference?



P.S: Bottom line is that for now, if you want to order the new Honor Guard pattern, click on pattern pages link and when the first page opens click on page four, then on page four click on page five to see Honor Guard. Unless you are on Firefox, then, apparently, you can open it up to the NEW page one and it has a link to page five. This is killin' me! I am a quilter not a techie!

8 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Oh my dear friend, this is a real egg suck! It is true that IE and Firefox give you different results as the wind blows. I'm not a techie myself so I can't answer why that happens. It just makes me close to doing what you've shown in you're photo. Beyond distressing. Smash my teeth on the concrete is my take. Doesn't bring out the best.

sewprimitive karen said...

I know there are variations among browsers and that this is an issue that Really Brainy Web Designers know how to adjust things for. I've been concerned about this for a long time with my website. I know about one problem and have wondered what to do about it. It's something we need to study, Marcie!

Carol said...

That tech stuff just makes me want to scream! Drives me nuts!

Elaine Adair said...

My goodness, I am out of MY element on this subject! I HAVE noticed occasionally Firefox and IE are not in sync at the same time, but they each catch up with the other in time.

I am hoping that photo of the keyboard through the monitor is 'just' a photo, and not yours.

Karen said...

I think you lost me in the first paragraph!

Stina Blomgren said...

Oh dear...:o) Dont these things just drives you crazy...
Im all Apple and Firefox lover.. and well I cant find any problem on your page...but I dont know whats wrong either... so Im lost..;o) I wish you all the luck in the world!!! :o) Hugs...

Cheryl said...

First off, I love that photo of the keyboard thru the screen. I would like to do that to my bad, bad, bad computer!!! We have a new one coming. Secondly, I will be of no help with your situation.
Getting on the blogs and emailing is about all I know! But I am really excited that you have some new patterns :-)!

Anonymous said...

I have Apple and use Firefox, and page 5 (Honor Guard) is there. I don't know what else you need checked, but let me know and I'll be happy to check it.

By the way, it also shows up in Safari, the browser often used by Apple owners.