Thursday, May 28, 2009

FEATHERING MY NEST

Recently I had my bedroom repainted. Have I ever mentioned that I HATE picking out paint? The room was yellow, but kind of had a sharp edge to it, if you know what I mean. It wasn't a nice soft yellow. I had lived with it long enough and so it was off to the paint store. I found a lovely color that looked perfect on the paint chip. Not so hot on the wall, however. I walked in when the room was almost done and said to the nice painter man, "I hate it"! He was so sweet. He encouraged me to go find another color and he would repaint it. It took two more cans of paint before I got it right. The above colors are close to what my walls looked like in the three stages. The final color, Fairmont Lobby Cream, is the final color, and it looks quite lovely. It is from Lowe's. I highly recommend buying the tester jars that they have available now. It costs a small amount and will save you a gallon or two in the end.

Time to change quilts and put on something pretty for summer. This is one I made about ten years ago. It is from a book called Buttermilk Farm, by Black Mountain Quilts. Teri Christopherson is the designer and she creates beautiful quilts. I am sure the book is out of print by now. Becky Krauss of Bellevue, WA quilted this for me. She is a wonderful quilter!
This is how it looks on my bed. Also, notice the framed pictures above the bed. I just added those as well. I photocopied these birds from this old bird book that I have. It is copyrighted in 1896. The pictures are rather odd by today's standards, but that gives them charm. I found frames at Michael's for about $7-8 a piece. They copied very well and I am pleased with the outcome.
Becky made me a new signature! Thanks granddaughter!
Posted by Picasa
PS: Upon further investigation I see that the pattern for the quilt above has been republished in Teri's book, Summertime! Check it out!

17 comments:

Stina Blomgren said...

Oh my goodness.. what a lovely quilt!!! :o)))

And tell me about painting.. dont know how many times I have gone back to the store and have them to add or put some other colour to it.. I bet they talk about me behind the desk ( maybe even hide)... whatch out here she comes!!!! lol...

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty quilt Marcie! And the room color is perfect. :o) Trial and error was worth it to get just the right color.

Libby said...

Oh for the days when Home Depot would let you return paint. I'm pretty sure they stopped that because of me *s* When we redid the kitchen, the men in the HD paint department would scatter in fear when they saw me returning with yet another paint can. When I finally got it right, I think the birds sang and angels wept.

Lindah said...

Your re-dec job is really nice. The new paint is a good background color for changing out quilts. Your quilt is quite lovely. I like the birdies, too. Altogether a very nice combination.

Janet said...

Paint colors are hard to pick! I love your quilt!!! It's so pretty.

Janet said...

The painter woulsn't have minded, he gets paid, lol. I think the quilt is just wonderful and I do like the colours. I like the prints you've made too.

Elaine Adair said...

The quilt is a beauty! Checking it out further, I see it is mostly easy blocks around one fantastic block. Just goes to show, a quilt can be beautiful without having the entire thing hard to construct - my favorite kind! The quilting is extraordinarily gorgeous.

Karen said...

I coiuld live with that quilt on my bed!

Unknown said...

Such abeautiful quilt, Marcie, I could stand that on my bed anytime. What a great quilting job. Good idea with the b ird pictures.

Little Lady Patchwork said...

Love the name of your new paint color! Great job re-decorating.

*karendianne. said...

I have nothing to offer about paint colors and indecision. I have my own horrific stories that I'm living with.

And Marcie, what a lovely quilt. Beautiful. Wow! And I agree, that quilting is beautiful.

New signature is Rockin'. Becky is cool!

Liz said...

1. Wait just a minute....'the painter'??? What ever happened to the days when you did all that yourself?? Not to mention that Becky is there to help!!

2. Beautiful quilt, I love it, but isn't that bed a little small? I don't know how I'd get by without my king size bed!

3. Love the color!! I'm painting my entire house (getting ready to sell) and I hate picking out colors!

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, your room is pretty. And those bird illustrations! I love them. Aren't you glad you persevered about the color?

Judy said...

I always would buy the small can and paint a 12 x 16 inch space on about 4 places around the room and watch it when the sun would move around the room. Beige often turns this ugly shade of peachy yuck without any green in it. Glad you found the right one and they started offering small tiny paint samples!

Karen said...

What a beautiful quilt! I like your bird prints, too. One of these days, I am going to go looking for a used book with vintage botanical prints in it.

Hanne said...

What a beautiful quilt :-)

Rose Marie said...

A gorgeous quilt, great prints along with a new paint colour .... priceless!