Saturday, May 09, 2009

THINKING OF MOM

Mother's Day, it seems, was always more about my mother than about me.  So I wanted to just write a note about my Mom, who has been gone for 9-1/2 years now. My mother was an amazing woman, and I try not to ever compare myself to her lest I fall short. The above photo was taken in 1944 when Mom was 21 years old. That was the year she married my Dad.
Mom was very artistic. The above little picture is an example of the type of thing she would create as baby gifts for friends. This one she made for me the year I was born, in 1946. It is done in pen and ink with watercolor accents. It is very faded and aged at this point, but I still treasure it. I didn't really realize how much until I was an adult and one of my cousins told my Mom how much she loved hers and that it was still on her wall. I hadn't thought about it for years.  I found mine and hung it up! It is homemade and sweet and sentimental. Recently I wrote a post about my Mom on my family blog, PATCH-IT-ALL, if you are interested.
This picture of Mom was taken a few months before she passed away from breast cancer, January 1, 2000. I wrote a post about her a couple years ago HERE so I won't go into more detail. Just that on Mother's Day I am thinking of her and missing her. She may well be in a better place, but I know she is missing us too.


14 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Hi, Marcie, what a fabulous picture of your mom at 21, and the artwork is fantastic. Isn't that interesting that she was an artist and that you are so artistic. It does seem to run in families. Happy Mother's Day, Marcie, hope you have a special day!

*karendianne. said...

Oh Marcie, your mom was a beautiful woman. Wow! A real looker.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

That is the most lovely tribute, she is a beautiful lady and has such a treasure in YOU! Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your Mother's Day dear friend.

Melanie said...

What a beautiful Mom! Enjoy your day---Fill it with great memories , both old and new....

Yvonne said...

Marcie....the posts are wonderful! I hope you have a very happy day. :)

Karen said...

You look like your mother, Marcie!

quiltmom anna said...

Marcie,
Your mom was a beautiful woman both as a young woman and as an older woman.
She would have thought you were beautiful too .
Lovely post - I hope you have a terrific Mother's Day.
Regards,
Anna

Angie said...

What a beautiful Mom, Marcie---and you do know that you look just like her, right? :) I hope you're having a wonderful Mother's Day. My day has been PERFECT--I've spent the ENTIRE day out in the yard, digging, planting shrubs, potting up flowers, etc. My most favorite kind of day. :)

Angie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
julieQ said...

What a gorgeous mom...and happy mother's day to you!

Libby said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mom . . . . now matter how much time passes or how old we get - we always miss our moms *s* Hope you had a wonderful day!

winspears said...

I sure do missed her. I wish my boys could have gotten to know her...but I am sure they spent a lot of time with her in heaven...and I am pretty sure she is part of the reason we that have so many redheads coming down for heaven!

Anonymous said...

Hello Marcie, we have been away and I have just read your post....thank you for sharing the photo's of your Mum......I was away for Mother's Day and I really missed our DD Jess.....Warm Regards Lyn