Tuesday, May 19, 2009

HONOR GUARD

Finally something quilty to show! I was afraid you were going to kick me out the the ol' quilt bloggers club if I didn't post something about quilts soon! Well, things have been in very slow progress. I don't know why I seem to have so many distractions in my life. Part of the blame lies with you other quilt bloggers who distract me with your wonderful posts. I showed a piece of this quilt a while back, and have been waiting until I finished the directions to show the entire quilt. I still need to get the covers printed, but look! I got a photo! That is half the battle for me! Yesterday was an overcast day and perfect for picture taking.
Look how cute this is as a table topper! And each eagle has a word of advice: Honesty, Kindness, Gratitude and Faith. I have struggled with a name for this quilt and today it came to me. HONOR GUARD! What do you think? I hope you can see the quilting. It was beautifully done by Rosemary Skinner of The Quilted Fox in Virginia Beach. Thanks Rosemary! Her quilting is the perfect finish. I love designing and making the tops, but that is as far as my talent goes. I am ever so grateful to each talented quilter who completes my work!

On another note, Granddaughter Becky was talking on Skype with her boyfriend Travis who is in Utah. Becky has still not gotten a job, although I have been thrilled to take advantage of her computer skills in creating better images for my new pattern. Travis remarked to her that maybe she could do batting for me with my quilts. She said, "Do you even know what batting is?" No, he admitted, he did not. I am sorry Travis, if you are reading this, but I keep having fits of hysteria as I imagine what a batting job might entail. Beating the quilts with a bat perhaps? Or maybe me getting to a certain point in the quilt and calling out, "Hey batta-batta-batta-batta"! Got any other suggestions?

Time to go. Batter up!




22 comments:

Jeanne said...

Marcie, another wonderful quilt! I love patriotic quilts and your pattern is a winner. Nice work.

Lindah said...

Uh-oh, I was just about to type in "Another wonderful quilt, Marcie!" But I see that Jeanne already said that. Well, it is so true...I second the comment! Perfect timing for the July holiday...for quick quilters, anyway. Honor Guard seems like a very meaningful name for the design. I like it. Now, I must get back to my batting. hee-hee.

Polly said...

I love it, it turned out awesome! The quilting looks beautiful.

Liz said...

I think 'Honor Guard' is the perfect name! What a cute quilt!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love the Honor Guard quilt! perfect name. I am laughing over Travis' comment, very funny and sweet at he same time.

Oh, Marcie... you're UP!

alda said...

looks really great!!!!

sewprimitive karen said...

I wish I didn't know what batting is, or rather maybe I wish that I was more familiar with it, because I so rarely get to that stage...with the big quilts anyway. Oh speaking of which I started a new big quilt this morning. Your Honor Guard is very pretty, Marcie, and especially nice as a table topper, wow, that looks like a magazine photo :-).

Karen said...

Oh, I do like your new quilt! A winner for sure. Hope you get the pattern all together soon and ready for sale.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic job as always!!

Kim said...

Wonderful new pattern, Marcie! The photo is excellent too! Yes, I think that's half the struggle, although thank goodness for Photoshop--that's what saves me!

Paula, the quilter said...

The new quilt is wonderful. The BF was just following his mother's directions, I bet: express an interest in what she is doing. LOL!

Lea said...

*LOL* Marcie, you are so funny!*LOL* I love the way you write, It's always funny and enjoyable to read.*S*

and your new pattern is delighfully beautiful! I love it!!!

Janet said...

Your new quilt is wonderful! I love the way you put color together. Just the perfect amount of scrappiness. :0)

Cheryl said...

Woooooooowzers!!! It's wonderful!

Janet said...

Great quilt! It's turned out just terrific. Still laughing about the batting.

Michelle said...

Love the quilt! And the name is perfect...I feel like I need to make it for my son who is on an ROTC scholarship at U of D! Very nice!

onlymehere said...

This is fabulous!! I got a laugh too out of the "batting job!" Thanks for the chuckle!

Julie said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog--I loved looking at your quilts and patterns. Have a super day. Julie

*karendianne. said...

Totally dig the quilt and the name is PERFECTLY COOL. You rock.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Love those eagles. That is a beauty! "A batting job" . . . hmmm. What was the dear boy thinkin'? Makes for a good question though. If you polled 100 fellas, 2 in each state, how many would know what batting is?

Libby said...

I would say that Honor Guard is Patchalot perfection *s*

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Honor Guard is wonderful! Oh I need more time to make all these quilts!!!!!