Saturday, May 02, 2009

LOVIN' SPOONFUL


Every time I look at these little hexagons beginning to take shape I am just so happy! I promised myself that I would start with a small project so as not to get discouraged. Ever feel that way? Then I decided to begin adding the filler hexagons, so those didn't seem overwhelming. Sometimes new quilters are overwhelmed with the size of a project. I get that! But with any project, it is breaking it down into smaller components that makes it do-able. I guess I have learned this over time with my many projects. "You only need to make one block at a time", says I. This is the eating an elephant one spoonful at a time philosophy. Which begs the question, "how many elephants have I eaten in my lifetime"? 

I have also learned that persistence pays off. So I decide how much I am willing to finish. Then do it! For this project I am already seeing how darling it will be in the center of my round kitchen table. I was just going to make the star points, then decided I could manage the sides also. I guess the whole thing will be appliqued down. Experimentation will be needed as I have never finished a hexagon project before. How are the rest of you finishing the edges of your hexagons?

Notice I said I never finished one before. I actually made tons of these hexagons long ago and  recently gave them away to Rose Marie at Applique 'n Patch Quilting. Rose Marie has already begun playing with the hexagon blocks and I will love watching what she creates. Those hexagons were a case where I bit off more than I was ready to digest. Again with the elephant thing. 

So I am still stitching away and I know you are too!  Happy Threadtrails!




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Oh! You have to finish! This is turning out gorgeous! This is EXACTLY the way I want to do a hexagon project :o)

Libby said...

Oh Marcie! I just LOVE it! This is the pattern I started, too. Your photo is the perfect inspiration for me. I'm still a long way from putting those pathway pieces in. Thanks for sharing *s*

sewprimitive karen said...

Ohhh the hexagons and colors are beautiful. I personally have eaten a complete herd of elephants in my lifetime. They are good.

Karen said...

Okay, Ms. Patchalot! I know where you are coming from on the elephant thing. I have purchased some hexagon papers and want to do the same design you are working on. I got one inch papers and they seem gigantic. What size are you using? I certainly like your piece so far.
A friend of mine made me a small Grandmother's Flower Garden with 1/4" hexagons. She just gave me the top and it has stayed that way. I intended to baste it to a backing but never have. I have displayed it the way it is as the edges stayed turned under.

Jackie's Stitches said...

The pattern you're using for hexagons is my favorite and I particularly like yours! One step of a time will get you there!

Janet said...

Your hexagons look great! I never thought about eating an elephant one spoonful at a time. :0) I think of all my quilts as string quilts - pieced together with little bits of time here and there. If I keep at it... eventually I have a finished quilt.

Liz said...

Wow, Marcie, what a lot of work!! I love it, I don't know that I would have the patience to do it though!

Janet said...

I quite agree with you, A lot of people can't understand why I start big projects but sometimes every block is treated like a mini quilt and I don't think of the whole task ahead.The hexagons look great, some are finished with a hexagon edge and some are appliqued down to a border.

Maggie A said...

Lovely colours and looking good

*karendianne. said...

Yummy! I know this will turn out to be a new favorite for me. :)

Annette said...

You are making great progress on your elephant...er...I mean hexagons. I think they are lovely and will be a beautiful topper.