Thursday, October 04, 2007

DOLLEY AND DARCIE

You may remember this quilt from an earlier post of mine. It is called Dolley Madison Stars. I had been admiring those Baptist Fans that Darcie has been doing, and I thought this quilt might look good with them. So I sent it off to Darlin' Darcie (you can check out her blog) and she quilted it for me. She did a great job, and the fans really add to the old fashioned appeal of this pattern. If you have spent any time visiting Darcie's blog, you already know how talented she is in so many ways. It was so fun to connect with her through the magic of the internet!
By the way, I don't normally have a wreath on my pillow, but it needed a little something to add interest to the photo. So now I am explaining why my photo is interesting.






The second photo is of the back of the quilt. I decided to add stash to coordinate with a larger piece of fabric that wasn't big enough. It was actually hard to part with these big pieces of my stash because I love them and wonder what I could make with them. That must be a symptom of the illness :o) On the other hand, now I love the back of the quilt as well as the front. As I pieced the back together I actually cut some of the larger pieces into several smaller pieces just to make it look "more interesting". I also used up the rest of the sashing fabric. By the time I got done, the back ending up taking several days to complete. When I got the quilt back from Darcie I looked for the sashing fabric to bind it, and realized that it was used up! Sometimes I really outdo myself!
For those of you who have been finishing up UFOs like crazy this year, this is my one UFO accomplishment! Yes, I did start others to be completed in the future. I also actually completed some projects from start to finish! It counts if they are small, right?

15 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

Love the wreath, it adds 3-dimensional texture. :) And now that you have used up so much of your favorite fabric in the backing, you can buy more! Love the quilt.

Darcie said...

Your pictures are terrific! And I love the scrunchy wreath affect. You really know how to make heads turn, Marcie! ;-) lol

Thank you for the lovely words. I truly am blessed to be able to work with the finest of toppers!

I'm so glad that you told about your back. I think that I forgot to take a pic of that...but I was admiring it at every turn! I love pieced backs!!!

Gail said...

Loverly quilt- I'd put it on my bed anytime! I'd even reverse it every now and then so I could enjoy the back, too.

Tazzie said...

Just beautiful, I love the little touch there with the wreath. Darcie did a lovely job with the quilting. You must be just thrilled. The back is wonderful too!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Marcie I love it! And yes Darcie's fans are perfect for it! I just love this!

Yvonne said...

Wow Marci, it's gorgeous! I love everything about it. Yes, small projects do count. :)

Rose Marie said...

Love your quilt and those fans sure make a nice finish to a quilt. It's fun to play with different backings and yours is great.

Susan said...

Gorgeous quilt to begin, and then adding Darcie's quilting was a stroke of genius. It looks great! Your backing looks like a lot of work, but it so matches the front.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Fabulous! You and Darcie make a great team! Great back, too.

I don't sleep with a wreath on my pillow anymore, it really messes up my hair; doesn't so the wreath any good either!

Unknown said...

Marcie, that quilt is terrific and then using the baptish fans for the quilt was just right. That's what I used on my wide border of the BOM I just finished. But doing it on the machine would be much faster. I'll have to go look at Darcie's site.
I never used to use anything but muslin for backings but am getting away from it. On a Feedsack quilt which I'm quilting now, I used feedsacks and leftovers like you only mine are big pieces. I can see where it would take you several days to piece that backing. Just like another quilt top.

Libby said...

The fans are just perfect. I love those 'piece-y' backs - but like you,I sometimes find it difficult to part with the fabrics . . . only to find myself in love with the end result *S*

Elaine Adair said...

Such a lovely, timeless quilt - and yes, both front AND back. You and Darcie are BOTH to be congratulated.

Kim said...

That turned out really nice! And I'm glad you explained about the wreath, because you KNOW I would have given you a hard time! ROFLOL!

Kairle Oaks said...

Oh, rats! Now I feel embarrassed so I'm going to go take the wreath off of my pillows. I thought that's what everyone was doing. lol!

Honestly, your quilt looks wonderful!!! You and Darcie did a fantastic job!

Mary Johnson said...

I love it and the BF quilting is just perfect. I rarely make my binding when I finish a top but I always cut it, put it in a baggie, and toss it in the binding bin just for this reason. Although now the quilt can be even more *interesting* when you come up with an alternative!