Thursday, July 19, 2007

MY HAPPY PLACE

Remember those 9-patches I was making a while back? Well they finally turned into something! Look, a quilt top! I have been planning to make this quilt for the longest time. I saw it in a Quilt It magazine that featured Nine-Patch Favorites. There is no date on the magazine, but I found an ad in it for a 2003 quilt show. So there you go--it takes me a while to do things! I am very pleased to finally have this UFO done to the point where it can be quilted. There are actually several other 9-patch quilts in that book that I would love to make. But not quite yet. I have patterns to create and instructions to write that I have put off for far too long. One thing at a time...at least I am seeing some progress.

I happened to see My Happy Place quilt while cruising through photos the other day, so I popped it onto my sidebar. I thought it would brighten up the place. It is a pattern I designed about a year ago that incorporated a few orphan blocks that I had. Finn has everyone all psyched on orphan block quilts, and it is so much fun to see what people are creating. You have probably seen her new blog, http://orphantrainsfromfinn.blogspot.com/ but if you haven't been there, you need to check it out. Fun stuff!
Last week I mentioned that my Dad was coming to visit, but that is not going to happen now. He became ill a week ago and went into the hospital in Minnesota and ended up with three stints going into his heart. He feels much better now. They have him on oxygen, and he decided that it was too much of a pain to try and come here and have to transfer planes, etc. I agree, especially in light of the problems that can develop while trying to catch a plane, etc. It seems like everyone is having trouble with the airlines these days. So hopefully he will be able to come here in the fall. I am just glad he is feeling better! In the meantime, my daughter, who lives in Atlanta, is coming for a week! She arrives tomorrow, and I am excited about that. I know she hopes to make a baby quilt for her friend while she is here. Lets see what we come up with! For now, I am headed to bed to read for a while. I am half way through Harvesting the Heart, by Jody Picault. She writes good stuff!

18 comments:

~Bren~ said...

What a beautiful quilt! You picked the perfect thing to do with those 9 patches.

Jeanne said...

Marcie, I LOVE that nine patch quilt! I have that magazine, too, but it will take me even longer to get mine made. Thanks for sharing. Your Happy Place quilt is very cute, too.

Kim said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, but you must be awfully relieved to know he's doing okay now. And a visit with your daughter to look forward to! That's going to be fun, I bet! I absolutely love your 9-patch stars. I don't think I would have thought to set them with a brown, but it's really perfect! I've only read one Jodi Picoult book and thought it was just okay, but I've heard lots of good things about her work, so I'll give it another try. I actually have two books of hers here (being the book hoarder that I am)--Plain Truth and Keeping Faith. Have you read either?

Leigh said...

I absolutely love your quilt Marcie. I adore star blocks and the nine patches set it off beautifully.
Love the colors too.

dot said...

Beautiful quilt. I am sorry to hear about your dad. Prayers are going out for him.

Angie said...

Oh, pretty quilt, Marcie!! I too have that magazine and would like to make one of each of them! :> I'm glad to hear that your Dad is feeling better. Enjoy time with your daughter! Love that My Happy Place quilt...I'm going to pull that pattern out right now and add it to my 'soon' pile! LOL

Darlene said...

Another Marci beauty! I'm going to assume it's your pattern?!?!?!

I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad!

Darlene said...

Well, duh, I just reread your posting and saw where you got the pattern idea. I knew that! LOL

Libby said...

What a great quilt - there is just no end to the fun quilts to be made with a 9 patch . . . isn't that great news *s*

Jenni said...

Very nice quilt top - and it's finished! Hope your Dad has a smooth recovery.

Gail said...

It turned out so well- of course, its 9 patch, and I love 9 patches!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Love, love, love the quilt! And your sidebar quilt makes me happy just to look at it! I'm praying for a full recovery for your dad, I know what a disappointment this is for both of you; but his health is so much more important. Keep us posted and enjoy your DD's visit.

Vicky said...

What a happy sidebar! I broke out into a big smile when I saw it!

And your 9P quilt is just stunning! (applauds here!) Good job!

Judy said...

Oh Marcie, That's a wonderful 9 patch quilt! Loads and loads of things can be made from such a pretty little block!

Rose Marie said...

What a striking top and I love the border effect. Hopefully, your Dad will feel better soon!

Quilting Kim said...

Marcie - I just love the "My Happy Place" quilt - it's just so cheerful. You come up with the best ideas for those orphans.

Sorry to hear about your dad and I will be praying for a full recovery.

Enjoy your time with your daughter!

Finn said...

Hi Marcie, what a wonderful 9 patch! i do love seeing that pattern in action, so many possibilities!
And thanks for the mention..*VBS* We are doing pretty well for visitors over at the Train blog, spreading the word how much fun you can have with orphans! Thanks for helping..*VBS* Hope your Dad is all better by now, and that the visit with your daughter was wonderful. Hugs, Finn

Quilts And Pieces said...

Mmmm, I love your 9patch/star quilt! Hope your dad is doing ok, I"m so far behind I just am reading everything that has happened, and hope you had a nice visit with your daughter.