Monday, July 02, 2007

FAMILY 4TH AND FUN QUILTS

My husband asked me yesterday, "Wouldn't you like to adopt a little girl?" He misses having children around. He forgets how crazy they make him sometimes. He only remembers the good times and the joy and happiness that children bring. That's nice, isn't it? We live so far from our grandchildren. But no, I don't want to adopt. Now I just like to visit!
When we lived in Minnesota we lived on a lake and everyone has wonderful memories of the lake and all the fun they had. The 4th of July was always a big event, with all our family coming. Lots of food, and fun. Just being together and relaxing and watching the kids play. When the kids were little I always dressed them up in red white and blue outfits for the 4th. We always had Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Bars, the kind with chocolate on top. One year my sister-in-law formed the mixture into a huge map of the U.S. and stuck little American flags into the places where family lived all over the country. It was really neat! (I have a pictures somewhere!) What I really need is a hologram of kids splashing and jumping off the dock. Somebody needs to invent that!
These pictures are both of my oldest granddaughter and fun quilts we did together a couple years ago. She is the one who just graduated and is going off to college next fall. The first picture shows a long quilt that she wanted for a certain location in her room. If you can believe it, these were all 5 inch orphan blocks, including the chain blocks from a discontinued project.
The second quilt is also orphan blocks. I never actually finished this one. Maybe this one needs to resurface and get quilted. Kind of fun, don't you think?

11 comments:

Angie said...

Loved reading about your 4th of July celebrations, Marcie! Yum, could you make and FedEx me some PBRice Krispy Bars with chocolate icing, pretty please???? :D Your granddaughter is beautiful! And I LOVE your Americana quilts --

Patti said...

Marvelous quilts Marcie! The first one looks totally planned - hard to believe they are orphans! And yes - you definitely need to finish the second one. Be sure to send Finn a link to your blog and tell her you've posted a couple orphans.

Granny said...

It definitely needs to be quilted. I love it! Your granddaughter is a beautiful young lady.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Absolutely lots of fun! She's such a pretty girl and obviously shares your passion for quilts, she's smart too!

Finn said...

Hi Marcie, thanks so much for letting me know that you had posted these! What great pictures of teh DGD as well as the fun quilts you made together. Love that orphan chain in the first one...LOL
And definitely, yes!, do quilt that second one and let it begin to be loved. I think this type of quilt is much like 'home town folks' friendly and easy to love.
Let me know if it's ok for me to post them on the Train blog for all to see, if not I can at least post your blog address for them to get a look. Thanks again, Hugs, Finn

Jenni said...

Your GD is an attractive young lady. The quilts are lovely - I continue to be amazed at all the orphan blocks people have lying around. I'll have to start making extra.

Kim said...

My husband's just about the same as yours--misses having kids around and just loves babies. Well, our time will come for grandkids before too long. Happy 4th of July!

Judy said...

Great quilts Marcie! It's so good that your granddaughter has the passion for quilting and it's something you can share!

Sarah Nopp said...

That really is a nice orphan block banner. Amazing how we can make things that work together, even with such long periods between! Tell your dh that there are benefits to being child-free. Certain of us even have a motto we live by: Sugar 'em up & Send 'em home!
Now is the time for you to do things like buy drum kits for those grandkids (they do live far away right?)

Quilts And Pieces said...

They are very fun!

Helen in the UK said...

Love your orphan wallhangings, especially the long thin one :)