Monday, January 22, 2007

SIGNATURE BLOCKS

I picked up a Quilt It for Keepsakes magazine this weekend, and surprise! It has a couple of nice signature quilts in it! There is no date on the cover, so it must be a special edition. I EQed one of the blocks for you. I wonder if it is the same one that Patti mentioned? I thought this was a really cool setting. The block is so simple, especially if you need to make a ton of them.
While at Jo-Ann Fabrics I noticed that they carry that cute little iron that I showed a while ago. It is the same price as the LQS, $9.99, but if you have a coupon... Lightbulb moment: they also have regular sized irons that you could use a coupon on. Hmmm.

I made a really easy TACO SOUP this weekend. I thought I would share the recipe. It is one of those things that you can throw together in five minutes, and you could easily have all the ingredients on hand. The recipe comes from my aunt in Arizona.


EASY TACO SOUP
In a large saucepan combine:
2 cans (13-3/4 oz) chicken broth
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 jar(11-1/2 oz) Pace Thick & Chunky Salsa
1 can Mexican style corn (11 oz) drained
Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes to blend the flavors. Pour into bowls and top with Crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese and a dollop of sour cream, if you wish. Sooo yummy!

9 comments:

Patti said...

If you are talking about me and the block I mentioned for a possible blogger swap then that is the exact block!

That magazine is special to me. If you find the article on photographs on quilts you'll see it's written by Sue Anderson and some of the projects were made by Kim Woodruff. Those are two of my long time friends in my little quilt group Tangled Threads. Sue's been a technical writer for years, but this is her first published quilt article. We are all so excited!

Anonymous said...

After seeing your adorable mini iron, I saw them at JoAnn's on Saturday. I had to buy one. Even if it does seem frivolous, I am telling myself it is safer for when the kids are in my quilt/laundry room. They are less likely to burn themselves or knock over the big iron. Plus the little thing is so darn cute! thanks for the tip. I would have passed it by without seeing the photo and comment on your blog.
Tried signing in, but can't remember my password!
KC Sunshine

Libby said...

That looks like a fun magazine -- I'll have to look around.
Thanks for the soup recipe. It's always good to have a recipe on hand that you can whip up in a pinch

Paula, the quilter said...

Doncha just luv EQ for working up fast designs?

Sweet P said...

I like that block and the quilt design is cool.

The soup sounds yummy. I may have to try it this weekend.

Silverthimble said...

I love the setting for the signature block. What a wonderful quilt to bust stash! I bought that magazine as well. I think there are several quilt patterns in there that would suit using up scraps in your stash.

May Britt said...

I think this is the block Cynthia and I am choosing for our blog siggie swap. It is very nice. have to look for this magazine now.

Carol said...

Must go get that magazine. I really like that block and the setting. Looks like fun!

The Calico Cat said...

Nice block setting - I just made my reservations for our hotel in Yorktown for MAQS... I can hardly wait!