Monday, November 02, 2009

LANCASTER COUNTY, PA

Beautiful Lancaster County, with the rolling hills of farmland and forests. We did see Amish buggies traveling on the roads. This photo is exactly like what we saw, but I refused to take photos of them. I got this one on line. Apparently the Amish own most of the farms and farmland in this area, in spite of the fact that they only comprise about 8% of the population. They obviously know what they are doing! I wonder if they have any idea how much they are admired by most of us?

This beautiful stone barn was on the property to the left of Sauder Fabrics. Across the street were fields of standing. dried corn, ready to be chopped up for silage, I imagine.


This is another store from the first group in my previous post in Bird-in-Hand, PA. Joan and I were totally charmed by the whole town.

And here is their display of "edible squash". I imagine it is labeled for the tourists in case they confuse it with the gourds. Let me tell you, their gourds were amazing also!

11 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I've been wondering where you were! Gosh, it looks like you had a really good time.

Janet said...

I really enjoyed seeing your photos of your trip. It makes me wish I were there.

Ruth said...

I'm so jealous! We went there for a super quick one day visit about 15 years ago and I loved it. I hope I can go back for a more leisurely shopping trip some time. There is so much to see. I love the barns & buggies!

Karen said...

I haven't changed my mind, I still wanna go! That horse posed perfectly for the picture! I know you didn't take it but its a great shot. I just love the old stone buildings!

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for taking us along with you :-)

Becky Pitcher said...

dang, grandma! You should be a photographer!

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures! It looks like a wonderful place to visit :o)

Anonymous said...

Marcie, welcome to my home state. I really miss PA. I hope you stop by Needle and Thread (2215 Fairfield Rd Gettysburg, PA 17325-7214) in Gettysburg, they have an amazing amount of fabric especially reproduction. There's a quilt and antique shop in a town near Gettysburg (Quilt Patch 1897 Hanover Pike Littlestown, PA 17340-9608) You know I'm from the Gettysburg area. Have fun!!

Connie

Karen said...

What a beautiful place to visit! I love the stone barn.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous country...envy here.

Lea said...

Aww.... I wish I were there too!!! Such a beautiful& historical place to visit. Those squash is very beautiful but also I love those bloom!!! Very beautiful craftmanship. :-)