Tuesday, December 02, 2008

CHRISTMAS CHEER



Really, I don't deck the halls much any more because we always go to Arizona for Christmas. But I do have a few favorites that I like to get out. I LOVE my Santas! My dear and talented friend, Kathy, has made these for me over the years. When we lived in Seattle she made the Santa in the yellow slicker with the fishing pole and the fish. These are all hand made with paper mache. The Santa in the back holds all kinds of sewing objects, including a little sewing machine, scissors and fabric bundles on his back. His face is paper mache and his boots are furry, etc. The faces that Kathy makes are so detailed and beautiful! I hope these all click to open larger so you can see the detail.

I had to photograph the back of these guys as well. Look at the posture on the center Santa. It is so real! I have no idea where she comes up with all these little detail items, but she is a collector of grand scale, and finds things that many of us would pass right by.


Now as for little ol' me, I keep my activities quite simple. Last year my friend Kathy sent me a box of old wool blanket pieces. So now I am making these cute little woolly mittens. I was all over Michaels the other day looking for little things to stuff in these mittens. I found a few things, but I found the best stuff at home in a box of craft items from my mom's huge reservoir of things. I saved some of it after she passed away and now I wish I had saved more. All these little items are so old and forsaken. Chipped paint and discolored felt, etc. In other words, just perfect for all the shabby chic, primitive stuff we love!

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Melanie said...

Using Google Reader I miss out on beautiful banners--- Love yours. The Santa delivering to a Quilter (obviously)is definitely a keeper. I'm trying to figure out a way to use the mitten in a sunday school craft for my class. Thanks for sharing.

quilterpolly said...

I love your santa's they are so cute. What a great idea for the mittens:)

sewprimitive karen said...

Your Sparkler quilt looks so pretty within the ornament in the header, Marcie, I can hardly believe it. Aren't those Santas wonderful.

antique quilter said...

beautiful Santas oh and I love that the one has a slicker on! What a memory that one will always have for you.
The mitten is adorable, what a great way to reuse that blanket
I made one similar a few years ago that was a kit...
mine has a santa face on it I like yours better!
Kathie

Idaho Quilter said...

Your Santa's are great you whould be proud to display them, what a creative friend you have. and a simple little mitten has a big impact, theyw ould be cute all over the tree. janet

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love your santa's! Those are so fun. And I love your new header! The little mittens are sooo cute!

Libby said...

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas . . . . love the new banner!
The Santas are just beautiful - a wonderful keepsake of your friendship *s*

Wendy said...

Your friend sure has a wonderful talent, the faces really make them. I love the Santa with the fabric bolts in his belt. It's fun to use old things and make them new again, the mitten is so cute.

I almost missed the new header, it's very cheery.

Susan said...

I love your Santas, too. And that mitten is just the cutest thing! I love seeing different Christmas things people make.

Your mom's block is almost finished. Just the laces and 3 small seams to go. I love the work I've done on this block. Maybe because I love reading your blog and your dad's so much. Thanks for sharing him with all of us.

When will you be down here? We were at the temple, looking at the lights last night. The nativity scenes are great, and you will definitely want to see the one from Missouri - it's a fabulous quilt!

Polly said...

Wow your blog looks awesome. I love the header super cute! I love those santa's, I want to learn how to paper mache something other then a balloon. Where do you learn that? Kathy really is amazing. I finally started getting out my Christmas decorations, it is pretty fun and Kathryn is loving it.