Monday, April 21, 2008

TAKING A CHANCE ON LOVE

It seems that I have had a lot to say lately. Tomorrow I am going to a friend's house to play with wool. Doesn't that sound fun? I found an old camel colored wool coat in my closet that I will never wear again and it wants to be reincarnated into something cute. Tomorrow my friend Joan and I are going to take the coat apart and wash it. We already picked out a really cute project with a beehive on it and other cute stitchy things. Fun awaits!

I was just visiting my blogging buddy Perry and she has a fabulous quilt on her blog that is being raffled off to benefit Cystic Fibrosis. You absolutely must see this great quilt, and then buy a chance or two to win it. If we each buy one ticket we could help to benefit this cause, and someone will get lucky and win the gorgeous quilt! $5 gets you in the running! Perry's darling little granddaughter is suffering from this disease. Perry has instructions for us on her blog. http://okperisplace.blogspot.com/



Probably many of you are familiar with the Quilts of Gee's Bend. They have been shown on TV specials and have been exhibited around the country. I saw them on display here in Virginia Beach a couple years ago. These are amazing quilts that were born out of poverty in an isolated area of Alabama and have come to be respected pieces of textile art. As quilters we know what it means to have a relationship with fabric and we feel the force of fabric speaking to us. I know these women felt that same creative force as they constructed these quilts, primarily from old work clothes and donated materials. The pictures of the quilts are fascinating, but to see them in person has unbelievable impact. You feel like they want to reach out and tell you their story. So, in fact, they do! The museum gave us headphones and a recorded history of each quilt so that we could listen to their story as we wandered through the gallery. It was a wonderful way to personally connect with the quilts and their makers.

Now having said that, I had to chuckle when I saw this ad in the paper last Sunday. I really and truly hope that the Quilters of Gee's Bend are enjoying every minute of this, and that they are benefitting financially.


Apparently my clever title missed the mark! "Taking a Chance on Love" is a song and I was playing off it regarding the raffle quilt. You know, take a chance-win a quilt! No, I am not off having a mad affair! Sorry if you are disappointed. (Annamiek!)

7 comments:

Perry said...

Marcie,thanks for linking to my blog on the CF. Much appreciated. I am sure the women of Gee's Bend are feeling vindicated for their perseverance. It must be something to see these quilts in person. Maybe someday.

sewprimitive karen said...

Hi, Marcie, oh have a wonderful day with your friend working with wool, it sounds like so much fun. Bye Bye old coat, you will have fun in your new forms. Love the rug (?) in the ad; is there a Gee's Bend quilt that looks like that also? Don't think I've seen a photo of that one.

Anonymous said...

When I opened your blog I could only read: "taking a chance on love" and I thought: OMG! Marcie is having a 30 year old latin lover!!!
I'm still laughing out loud. hahahaha!!!!!

Libby said...

Gee's Bend rugs? That is too funny *s*

Wendy said...

Wool is fun and easy to work with. Have a great time playing with that old coat...Oops sorry I meant playing with your friend.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I can't wait to see what you create from your cast-off coat. I truly hope that the Gee's Bend quilters are benefitting, too!

Yvonne said...

So much for being clever....LOLOL! Can't wait to see your project. :)