Monday, February 04, 2008

SCRAPPY TRIPS AND TREASURES

Bonnie Hunter's invitation to join her working on Scrappy Bargello quilts this past weekend came at a time when I was ready to dive in. I actually made a few of these blocks while I was in Arizona over Christmas. I am making her Scrappy Trips version. Both are the same technique and directions are found on her Quiltville web site. I spent a couple hours on Saturday making little piles of strips for blocks. Now it is easy to sit down and sew strips together, press, cut, sew into blocks. Voila! I got several more blocks completed, and a number of blocks ready to go. And since prep time is usually the thing that holds me up, this will be great to work in whenever I need a no-brainer. Thanks Bonnie, for this quick method and all the inspiration! I have to note that my husband is not too pleased with this project. He needs things to be very organized. He tried to arrange the blocks to make sense to him. This project is so carefree! To me that is the charm of it.

This past week I changed a wall arrangement, and I thought I would give you a glimpse of it! My little brown churn dash quilt is called Table Scraps, as I was mostly using up lots of pieces off my cutting table. Such yummy little morsels that I wanted to sew them up into something!
You may recognize the sampler as one I did a while back from a Blackbird Design book, Fresh From the Garden. I found that little bird's nest smack in the middle of the hydrangia bush when I was trimming it back for winter. It is so precious! And the big platter was a wedding present to my great grandparents in 1888. That is one of my very special treasures!


Addendum: Paula at A Latte Quilts worked on the Bargello/Trips project Sunday also. Check out her blog!
I see Dawn at Quilts and Pieces is at it also! As is Tracey at Quilting in Connecticut! I am getting a kick out of see who all jumped in the fray, as it were! Joan at keeping You in Stitches actually has hers done and quilted! It's embarrassing. She did start a week early, but still...
Katie, In My Sandbox is making the Bargello also. Anybody else?

20 comments:

KC Quilter said...

Love, love, love your Churn Dash! And I have a thing for abandoned bird nests too! They are so sweet. That is such a nice wall arrangement!

Elaine Adair said...

One of my favorite phrases is, when a project is kinda humble, "It is what it is." And to me, it's just a lovely, scrappy quilt. No brainer, not too much thinking, making do, ending up with a very usable and friendly quilt. I've made 6-7 of them, and gave all away except one, that was too 'friendly' to give away. I love it!

Lea said...

Wow, I love this quilt!!! Gosh, I want to see(inspect*LOL*)all fabrics that you used for these blocks. It's so lovely!!!
Oh! and your Churn dash is so beautiful. This is one of my favorite block and yours are just my taste! Your color scheme is perfect!!!
I love your blackbird sampler also. I have this book and better look it again.:-)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Marcie! I love your trip around the world. I should try that one! And your churn dash and arrangement is so beautiful!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Time well spent in cutting because your results are beautiful!!! And your churn dash is just so charming!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Anonymous said...

oh, oh, oh! the scrappy trip is the most lovely of all scrappy! your scrap basket must be huge, because I can't believe how many beautiful colors you have in it

thanks for sharing!
lyn

Jeanne said...

Your scrappy quilt is wonderful and I love your churn dash quilt! You had a great week-end!

Darlene said...

Your scrappy trip around the world is wonderful.

I really like Table Scraps - looks great with the other treasures around it.

Melanie said...

OK, I'm supposed to be checking out the Churn dash piece, and my eyes are complete drawn to that Blackbird design --- again. I've told you before, But I just love that piece. The colors on the Churn dash quilt are great--- when I look at it, the first thing I think of ...is "home". Enjoy.

Christine said...

Really love your churn dash quilt. The fabrics really are yummy. It looks great with your Blackbird Designs sampler.

Anonymous said...

Really like your version of the Bonny quilt!I think it IS pretty organized.The churndash is very pretty too.
It makes a nice picture, real cosy, or as we call it: "gezellig"

Laurie Ann said...

I haven't made the scrappy trips version. I'll have to give it a try. I like yours!

Libby said...

Table Scraps! Another beauty, Marcie. I just love it *s*

Kairle Oaks said...

You've been a busy girl, Marcie. I really like your scrappy TATW...definitely on my 'to do' list...someday. lol!

I love your grouping. Your quilt looks so beatiful with the sampler and platter. You talented girl!

Kim said...

Your arrangement looks fantastic! Love that churn dash!

Katie said...

Love that scrappy trip!

Karen said...

The churn dash quilt is right up my alley. Love the colors.

Linda C said...

Norma at SilverThimblequilting and I were working on the bargello quilt last weekend. I had company this last week and had to set it aside and Norma, other committments this week.

After seeing your "scrappy trips" as well as some of the others, I almost wish that I had used that pattern instead. Too bad your husband is not sharing your enthusiam for the scrappy look. Maybe it will grow on him??

Cool Churn Dash and I love your Williamsburg Medallion too.

Michelle said...

Oooh! I love your "Table Scraps" churn dash quilt!! I am a new quilter so I am enjoying reading other quilting blogs and seeing all of the wonderful quilts that are made. It inspires me to get back to the sewing table!!

Harmany Quilting said...

Your bargello is gorgeous. My friend and I have swapped strips for our own bargellos here in Australia. Bonnie is such an inspiration.

Nicola