Monday, September 18, 2006

STASH PROJECT: LINCOLN'S PLATFORM


Here is the lesson that I learned from the Hour a Day quilt project: I am not an hour-a-day quilter! I really enjoyed making the project; I just can’t work one hour a day. Some days I spend the whole day sewing, some days I am forced to do other things. I spent several hours yesterday and today sewing the borders. I decided I wanted to make it a little longer, so I added a little saw tooth strip on top and bottom. I think it gives it that Patchalot look! The navy border is a Thimbleberries print trimmed off another quilt from a few years ago. I just had to cut the strips to size and sew them together. You don’t see the seams at all in that fabric. It is such a thrill to be able to complete a quilt from what we have on hand. Great project! Thanks Judy! I won’t be able to join in the leaves project, but love the setting. Judy has a gift for adding a touch of elegance to her designs. Did you see the American Quilter magazine this month? Judy mentioned that she had a quilt in it and so I looked for it, and saw her quilt featured. It is beautiful! So fun to see a “friend” featured in a magazine! (OK, so we have never actually met). Very nice, Judy!
Good news, I got my sewing cabinets! I am in the process of organizing fabric and when everything is put away I will take pictures and show off. I am excited!

14 comments:

Linda_J said...

Yep, you added your own twist to the project, just like Mary and Jeanne did with theirs.

Very nice!! Are you keeping this one or sharing it with family?

Sweet P said...

I love your sawtooth borders. They make the quilt sing!

Libby said...

Looks great -- the sawtooth border adds just the right touch.

Melzie said...

I see circles in there! I LOVE when you see a strong secondary pattern! woohoo you did good! xoxo melzie

Melzie said...

I see circles! I loveeeeee when you see a strong secondary pattern..did you plan it?! good job! xoxo melzie

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

You did a great job with your top and I really like the extra sawtooth borders!

Cheers!

Evelyn

quiltpixie said...

what a wonderful secondary pattern -- and the sawtooth just adds to the fun :-)

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

I'm pretty sure that I'm not an hour a day person either. My days are very different from each other.
Quilt looks great - I too saw the circles first up

Hedgehog said...

Those saw tooth borders really add to it!

Gail said...

Yours is the first Lincoln's Platform that I noticed the 'ghost' of a secondary pattern-circles pop out at me. The sawtooth was a clever addition.

Ruth said...

I like the secondary pattern with the circles. The quilt looks great.

KCQuilter said...

Wow, that turned out beautifully! And the sawtooths (sawteeth???) really add pizazza. Great job.

Sandra said...

Great quilt! I really love the sawteeth on the top and bottom. Everyone's hour-a-day project is so different, it's been fun to watch the progress :-)

Quilty Nurse said...

Thats such a lovely quilt! I love the saw tooth rows too. Nice colours.

I'm not an hour-a-day quilter either, sometimes life just gets in the way. But I don't let that worry me, its meant to be fun, and I eventually get things done, in the fullness of time as they say. :-) Caroline