Thursday, September 14, 2006

CHARITY BLOCKS AND STUFF



The local quilt shop here is doing the Quilt Pink thing, so I made a couple blocks to turn in. Then Hedgehog mentioned that she was making red blocks for Clare in France for leukemia, so I thought I would make a couple more to send to her. In an effort to avoid making decisions, I just made them both from the same patterns. They are eight inch blocks. I think the Sister's Choice is my favorite. I saw it in a Terry Atkinson book called 9-Patch Reunion. She likes to make blocks a little large so they float, and the corner's never get sewn off. Nice method, especially for beginners. It worked nicely here because I was able to trim it to 8-1/2". It is nice to be able to make a few little blocks for a good cause. I give a lot of credit to those that are doing all the organizing! What a lot of work. New paragraph. I have been doing some stitching on my Sister to Sister quilt as well. You may recall when I got it back from my quilter recently. I kept looking at the border and wondering if it needed a bit more quilting. I DO NOT machine quilt, so finally decided to do some hand stitched viney things. I couldn't find any blue quilting thread, but saw some topstitching thread that I thought I would try. It actually turned out kinda cute. (Not easy thread to quilt with, by the way). Look closely, it is there!

15 comments:

quiltpixie said...

I .like the blue swirl of hand quilting you added... I can see why it felt "too empty" without..

Libby said...

How sweet of you to do two set of blocks -- fun to see them in different color ways. I don't think I could pick one way over the other.
Your added quilting is just the right touch.

Mary Johnson said...

I like the floating sister's choice block too - nice technique for those of us who don't always sew the most accurate seam! I actually slowed down my machine speed when I was piecing my Quilt Pink top and I was pleased with my accuracy for a change! Most of the time I make patterns where it's not a big issue.

Silverthimble said...

I love the idea of "floating" a block to prevet the cutting off of points. I will have to experiment with that idea one day.

Clare said...

Your blocks are gorgeous - can't wait to see the real thing. This is going to be one big quilt and with loads of different blocks will be a rareity.

I am getting really excited about it now.

Thank you so much.

Clare xx

Gail said...

Those blocks turned out very well, they look great.

Judy said...

I agree with you totally. I think one thing people do when quilting is forget that the quilting should be the same density all the way through. If you have a close leaf design in the last border and close quilting in the blocks, you shouldn't leave the other border with such an open design.

Good call on your part. I think it looks great!!

Finn said...

The quilt top looks great Marcie! It looks to be quite a puffy batt, and quilting never shows quite as well on that, I don't think. My favorite to hand quilt through is still Mountain Mist..often the one called "Light" or "lite". Great job on the blocks for donation. Making the outside a bit bigger is a great idea!

Linda C said...

Good job on the donation quilt blocks--I saw some of the fabric line at one of the quilt shops on Weds but didn't get any. Still it gave me a better idea of what color Mary's fabric REALLY is on the top she just finished, LOL.

Sweet P said...

I like your charity blocks. You did a great job on them. I can't quite see the hand stitching you did on the quilt, but I do like the border.

ForestJane said...

The pink and red variations of the same blocks look great! They'll be happy to get them, I'm sure. :)

Cynthia said...

i like the charity blocks you made. They are all very pretty and i'm sure they'll be appreciated.

Anonymous said...

beautiful charity blocks!

Anonymous said...

The blocks look great. I like seeing the contrast of the two colours. It's amazing how much difference colour can make to a block.

Hedgehog said...

Your blocks look great! I love that you used the same patterns for both - it's so fun to see how color and pattern changes things. I also like the floating block idea!