Saturday, March 12, 2011

Photo Ready

I actually went outside today, and it was beautiful! This is a big deal for me as I have been slaving over the sewing machine for hours every day. One project I will be so glad to finish! It is from the beautiful Cocheco Mills line of fabric from Marcus Fabrics. I have had to send away for more fabric a couple of times. I just ordered a different border fabric than what I originally intended. That is because I design on the fly. I think I know what I am doing, but I regularly change plans in mid stream. I am not sure what that says about me as a designer, but the best laid plans, and all that...  Photos of that quilt will be coming.

Today I went outside with a mission in mind. I needed to take new photos of a couple of my quilts. I am working on new covers, getting ready for International Quilt Market and all. The weather was beautiful and sunny and so I headed over to Stoney's Market, which is not officially open for the season yet, but I got great shots there once before, so I thought I would try it again. Stoney's is a garden and vegetable stand that is very rural in appearance, but sits right in the middle of office buildings, mostly doctors. They are very nice about me commandeering their walls and fences and plants and props.

And while I was searching for places to display my quilts for photos, look who was watching me. Goats, sheep and lots of chickens too. The rooster kept crowing me off his turf, so I left him and his harem alone. 
Here is Dream Catcher with a few of the props I appropriated from Stoney's. 

I got a couple shots of Pioneer Trail as well. Not being a photographer by trade, I do a lot of messing around and never know if I will get anything I can use.  I think I like the one with the goat the best, but I can only use that for blogging! Not such a great pattern cover!
Here is a new release. I showed these little quilts a while back and then sent them off to Karen Mowery for photos because she has antique dolls from when she was a little girl. (Hee hee-I'm gonna hear about that!) Didn't she take a nice photo for me? She is talented in so many aspects that I value, and I count on her way too much. In this pattern you can use a focus fabric for the center or cross stitch a sampler from a chart in the pattern.

Getting ready for market has been taking my attention, and I have three quilts out being quilted. You can catch a glimpse of one of them at Quilt Hollow. Mary Flynn is doing her magic on a new one. Normal for her, thrilling for me! You may recall that Mary recently quilted baby quilts for the twin boys just born to my granddaughter. I enlarged one of the designs to adult size just so Mary could do the pattern that you will see on her blog. Awesome is all I can say, just awesome!

Hope your weekend is as happy as mine!


20 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Marcie, your quilts are gorgeous. So is Stoney-Goat lol. ohhhhhh the pattern cover with the dolls looks sooo pretty!!!

Julie in the Barn said...

I love both of these new creations. You did a fine job on the photo shoot!

Mary Johnson said...

I like it! I also tend to make a lot of changes from my original design when I'm working but am usually using stash so it doesn't involve ordering or waiting for more fabric -- I think you have to be open to changes as you're making a quilt.

Janet said...

Looks like you got some great pictures of your quilts! They're lovely in this setting.
I can't wait to see you other quilt when Mary gets finished with it.

Kelli said...

Love the quilts - your pictures are fine! Had to laugh at the goat and rooster :) It had to be a fun day for you.

Libby said...

The goat is my favorite, too . . . . maybe he could make it as a centerfold in the pattern *S*

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Great photos! I feel your pain market peeps are underway here as well. Hey maybe you should put the goat in your booth... You will win best booth for sure!

Pat

Karen said...

I like how you photographed your quilts in a unique setting. Good luck at market. And remember what you said you would do when you made your first million dollars! LOL!

Karen said...

Love the photos! Looks like Mr. Goat agrees! I see a future project staring at me....no,no not the goat, but the strippy quilt....

julieQ said...

Love your gorgeous quilts, and the goat background is perfect!

Lori said...

That looks like a fun place to take quilt photos. Love the goat too!

Irishgirlsews ~ Wendy said...

Hi Marcie,
Mary from Quilt Hollow sent me over, sure glad she did, your quilts are all so very lovely! Glad you are having some Spring like weather too.
Wendy

Donna said...

Dream Catcher is beautiful. Quilt Hollow sent me over to say hi. I am very glad she did. I saw the Williamsburg Medallion Quilt on your website and am in love! I'll be back. Happy quilting.

Leeanne said...

Love that quilt!! I came to visit from Quilt Hollow.

bingo~bonnie said...

Both of your quilts are so very nice! ;) My favorite is Pioneer Trail.... reminds me of a quilt my "Momma Newt" once made.

Congratulations on the twins!!! My b/g twins will be 4 years old this summer and amazing at how time passes so fast! We look back at photos all the time and just doesn't seem real that it's all happened so fast. Be sure and offer to take the mom's photo holding both the babies as often as possible... I regret that I was the one behind the camera and go so many of my Mother In Law and my parents holding both at each stage in life... but only 3 or 4 of me holding my babes.

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

jofridsquilt said...

Lovly quilts you have designed. I was sent by Quilt hallow to eatsh your quilts. Have a nice week. Hugs Jofrid

Jill said...

Saw your new quilt over at Quilt Hollow, it looks wonderful! Mary is an amazing quilter!! The twins are so beautiful. Congratulations ot everyone in your family.

Laura said...

I followed a link here from Quilt Hollow. Your quilts are beautiful!And I noticed you are in Virginia Beach, where I grew up.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilts, beautiful quilting from Quilt Hollow and beautiful twins...WOW!
♥ your designs and I agree with Libby that the goat should be a centerfold.

C Beasley said...

Your quilt at Quilt Hollow is beautiful. Love your patterns, have never seen them anywhere in the area but I will be asking for them. CAB