Thursday, November 08, 2007

BITS AND PIECES


Greetings Earthlings! I thought I better add something new so you know I am still kicking! I had a doctor appointment this morning and I still have a pulse. Got my flu shot for good luck. I get one every year, but really, you never know if it saves you from anything. It seems like my husband and I get sick every year at Christmas. We always travel to see our kids, so between the wonderful recycled airplane air, and the germs our grandkids bring home, we manage to snag some germs of some type. Some variation that apparently is not included in the flu shot formula.

Monday my friend, Sue, and I went to the movie, Elizabeth, the Golden Age. I never saw the first movie, but really want to see it now. This movie was wonderful, I thought. The staging, the costumes, the writing, and the acting were all wonderful. Cate Blanchett played Elizabeth, and she was wonderful! This is the kind of movie where you leave the theater wanting more. I definitely need to get the first movie, but I need a good book also. Preferably an historical novel. Any suggestions?
I am still working on my little tree quilts. I have one that is almost done being quilted, and two more spray basted and ready to go. I really am pleased with the response to this little project, and hope you will let me know if you have a quilt you want to display on my website.
Also, I got a couple of small pieces hand quilted. I just sit in my little thread nest each night watching TV while I stitch away. Most of the shows I like are not on until 10:00pm, so I record them on the DVR. Then I watch them when I want to. The DVR is such a huge improvement over the VCR! It is so easy to program! My new favorite program is CANE, with Jimmy Smits, Hector Elizondo, Rita Moreno, and the bad guy is Ken Howard, who I normally love, but he is real bad here!
I quilted the little churn dash quilt using a heavier than normal, variagated dark thread. I did it in small Baptist Fans, and I love the effect! I was inspired by Tonya to give it a try. I found that I am more comfortable using a hoop and some drawn lines. Tonya free-hand stitches hers and doesn't use a hoop. The woman is so dang unconventional! Check out her blog and tutorials if you are not familiar with Tonya. Oh do hurry, she is signing up people for a new class!
My husband returned from a business trip to Japan, and home via Hawaii. He will be catching up on his sleep for a while, I think. Would you believe he had to call me from the airport to come and get him because I thought he was getting in at night and he got in in the morning? I am so bad! And I felt so bad. I was lying in bed thinking to myself that there was no real need to rush out of bed, nothing urgent to attend to. Then the phone rang...and I raced to the airport, right after I got dressed. No need confessing that I was still lounging around. Am I right?
More news and photos later, after I unbury my camera. I know it's here somewhere!

15 comments:

Jeanne said...

I love the Baptist fan quilting on your little quilt. It's one of my favorite patterns. Thanks for the good review of the movie. I've been wanting to see it, too. I love historical movies and books. I hope you get some good suggestions for books.

bettsylyn (Lynda) said...

HAve you tried the historical novels by Philippa Gregory. The first one starts with Catherine of Aragon (The Constant Princess). I think they are making a movie of the one about Anne Boleyn (The Boleyn Inheritance) The Virgin's Lover is about the early years of Elizabeth. There are a few others too - I have one more to read and I am looking forward to that.
P.S. I am nearly finished your topper - I will send you a photo when I do.

Unknown said...

It's me ... the beginning quilter again. I wanted to let you know that just a few minutes ago I finished another tree quilt. This one went together much easier than the first and my trees all have their sweet little points in tact!

So ya see ... You have taught me well with your challenge.

Thanks.

bettsylyn (Lynda) said...

Just to get my facts straight - I found the movie is being made from another in the series - called The Other Boleyn Girl. The Boleyn Inheritance comes later in the series. You can check out her website here http://www.philippagregory.com/
and the movie information here
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467200/

Enjoy!

Angie said...

I do adore churn dash quilts---and that one is just adorable! :) I've ordered that dang ruler JUST so I can make me a tree quiltlet!!! :D

Darlene said...

Another sweet one!

I'm so sad :-( I'm not a Babe in Blogland. :-( Don't worry, I'll be fine, I'm just going to go sit in the corner and mind my own business. No, really, I'll be just fine. Sigh!

LOL :-)

Tonya Ricucci said...

Very cute quilt. Sorry the hoopless thing wasn't to your liking but I'm glad you tried it out - you never know for sure until you do.

I liked the first Elizabeth I movie a lot - haven't seen teh second one yet. If you like mysteries I can recommend the Elizabeth I series by Karen Harper. The first one is The Poyson Garden. Of course the miniseries that Helen Mirren won an Emmy for is excellent too. I envy you your TIVO.

Darlene said...

WooHoo - I'm IN.

LOL

Finn said...

Hi marcie, love the churn dash quilt...the colors are just wonderful, and the fans just add to the effect.
You did a great job on them! Keep up the good work. Hugs, Finn

sewprimitive karen said...

Hi, Marcie, your fan quilting looks sooo nice. I am so glad to hear that you loved the 2nd Elizabeth movie. It got such horrific reviews that I did not go see it. The first one is very, very good. Lots of historical inaccuracies but what are you gonna do. A favorite historical novel of mine is The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. If you haven't read it, you would love it. How about Ken Howard in 1776????? I swoon :-).

Libby said...

Isn't the DVR a wonderous thing? For so long we (I) resisted it because I didn't want yet another box and another remote . . . now I don't know how I got along without it. The little churn dash is just darling. You come up with the sweetest things!

Judy said...

Tivo was my xmas gift 2 years ago I think...best present ever! I get so disappointed when I'm watching the other tv's and I can't go back to something I missed. I even reach for it in the movie theater!

Love the churn dash quilt...and the baptist fans. Just perfect!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love your little churn dash quilt and I love the heavy quilting! But I REALLY love the binding! I just love plaids/checks on the bias for binding!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

I like that you made this charming quilt with only 4 blocks. I really have to stop making gargantuan quilts one of these days.

Kim said...

Love your little churn dash! I'll e-mail you about some books--my list is probably too long to clutter up your comments! LOL!