Monday, April 13, 2015

Life in the Slow Lane

Have you noticed that I have changed gears? My life is now very much in the slow lane. I would like to be doing more, but just don't have it in me anymore. My husband retired and I guess I did too. But no worries because now I am still doing what I love to do, just not under pressure. To coin a phrase: Life is good!

 My son, Renn is a woodworker and has become fascinated in wood turning on a lathe. He is making all kinds of delicate little items. We were in Utah at his house over Easter and he gave me this wonderful little bowl that he made, and the darling spoon which is about 5 inches in length. They are beautiful!
 I figured that since he was spinning away maybe he would like to try making me wooden spools, so he did! The first one turned out beautiful! The second one was looking great when all of a sudden the top blew off. Whoops! Of course I wanted it anyway. I can stick a little flag in the hole, right? He has made lots of other things as well, but currently it is wood turning that is holding his interest.

 My interest still revolves around stitching in any form. I have been playing with Buttermilk Basin's free BOM. They are so cute!


I also have several of the other Buttermilk Basin designs by Stacy West. They are fun and easy!
Along with that I got caught up in the four-patch frenzy that is going on and have a really pretty double four-patch quilt in the works. Who knows, maybe I will blog again and share it with you! 


Meanwhile Hubby and I were doing a little furniture shopping this weekend and look at the darling pillows I spotted at Crate and Barrel! They are pretty pricey, $60 to $80. But good inspiration!




10 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

Wow, what a beautiful job your son is doing. He may be interested in taking a class at the John C. Campbell Folk School to help continue his craft. They offer several classes each year. Just log on to www.folkschool.org . Thanks for sharing!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

How fun to have some creative wood items made by your son! I love your Buttermilk Basin blocks--and I'm very excited that there will be a new one soon!

Kyle said...

I'm so glad life has been good and that you have slowed down to enjoy it. Your son's work is beautiful. Your perel cottons looked perfect in the wooden bowl. Hope we can occasionally see some of your projects along the way.

Janet O. said...

Beautiful bowl! I love wooden bowls--I use them for all kinds of things in my sewing room. I often haunt the "wood" aisle of the local thrift store, but ones made by people you know are so much more special. This is a unique design with wonderful wood grain!
Your wool blocks are great. Love the button on the flower pot. I stitched a heart on mine because I thought it needed a touch of something, but couldn't think what. I like the button even better. : )

AnnieO said...

I would love a turned bowl and spoon, gorgeous! Perfect for sea salt on the kitchen counter. Glad stitchery is still your best free time occupation:)

Yvonne said...

Love the things your son made, especially the bowl and spool. It happens that my husband is going to learn this next saturday here in the Netherlands. I sure hope he likes it so he can makes a lot of spools for my friends and me!

Me and My Stitches said...

Wow - your son is talented (like his mama!) - his pieces are beautiful! Glad you are sewing and just enjoying life!

Melanie said...

I have such an appreciation for wood-working as my father-in-law did when he lived and hubby both tool around with it. A true art. There's a lot to be said for life in the slow lane-- topping it off with 'you've earned it!!!' When I see $60 dollar pillows, or tableware, or even ceramic tile patterns resembling quilts-- I always smile. And I tell myself (and anyone standing next to me), " Quilt patterns are for Cool People...." They used to call us 'Dorks..' but We've won them over. They are coming over to the other side... Have a great day.

Michelle said...

Gorgeous wood pieces...your son is very talented! I love you Buttermilk Basin blocks too...it's great to "see" you here on the blog! :)

VickiT said...

When you can do as you please and your husband can do the same along with you, life if always great. The woodworking your son has done is just beautiful. My ex-husband did woodworking and we both worked at a little company called "Heartwood Creations" that is known for making little boxes, but they do so much more. The wood they use is just gorgeous. It's amazing to watch what beauty can come from a little block of wood. Your son is doing an amazing job from what I see. The bowl is just beautiful. I don't blame you for wanting that spool with the top blown off. I think that looks like a great little piece to set next to a sewing machine to stick a seam ripper in the hole to have it handy at all times. IF that hole is large enough, of course. Or if working on a small pattern, you could stick something in the hole that has a little clip on the end to allow you to clip the pattern to that and keep it upright instead of flat on the table. Maybe that accident will give him some ideas for future things he can make if more tops blow off. Then he can say it was planned. :)

I love your little quilt behind the bowl. Very pretty colors. I am so horrible at choosing colors that go together that well.

Enjoy your time in the slow lane.