Saturday, February 09, 2013

Potato Barn Chic

I am still in Arizona and will be for at least two more weeks. My dear Dad had a small stroke two weeks ago and so I am really happy that I have been here to attend to his needs. He returned home from a rehab facility yesterday. He is doing quite well, but hasn't quite got that old spark back yet. He wonders why he is feeling so tired. We have his 90th birthday party planned for next weekend and lots of family is coming to town for it. We are all really excited and are looking forward to being together for something happy! My granddaughter's husband is a professional documentary film maker and plans to film us. Scary, but cool! My nephew has been making a DVD slide slow of lots of old family photos, and that will be really fun. He has done a great job!

 My cute Dad with Linda, Marcie and Randy
On another note, my DIL and I went shopping for a bed for the granddaughter who deems herself the favorite. She has been known to sit in front of babies to make herself seen, and hide the babies. She is 16 years old and makes us laugh. There is a chance that she is serious tho. So we went to a store called The Potato Barn. I was there several years ago, when the store was in a big barn. Apparently their success has moved them into shopping centers now. I took a bunch of photos with my phone because I want to share their very shabby, but new furniture. 

 This chair made me laugh. Can you see the 
patch on the side?
 Seriously stripped down paint job!

 Loved this chair with the stars stitched on!
 Nifty cubbies!
 Another stripped down piece. Some were done in teal, or whatever that popular blue color is. 
You can see some of it in the background.

  These last pieces were my favorites. They have  removable galvanized bins. I can see them in my sewing room holding scraps in various sizes! So easy to toss pieces in as I trim them and so easy to draw them out as I need them. I think these were $285 a piece. It's a stretch for saving scraps, but cuteness does count for something! Since I want to keep the husband freaking to a minimum, I think I will just covet them for a while.

12 comments:

JoAnne said...

Oh be still my heart! That chair with the stars... and stripes! I'm drooling. I also really like the piece at the end, it would be perfect in anyone's quilt room!

Angie said...

What a cute post. :) Love the chairs, especially the one with the stars on it. The first one with the 'patch' should be headed to reside at your house. :) Wow, happy 90th birthday to your Dad---wonder what he would have to say to a 56 year old that feels 'tired'??? :D I'm so glad your family is having a fun celebration, Marcie. It's definitely your turn. :D

Annemiek said...

Saw A pic on pinterest the other day: a similar stripped cupboard filled with folded quilts..... eyecandy! (although I would paint it properly..)
All the best wishes for your Dad!! Hope he will recover and enjoy his bd to the full. Great to still have him around!

Karen said...

That last bin picture is the one I would want. What a unique furniture store. We don't have anything unique here to look at furniture wise. Just Florida style furniture.

onlymehere said...

The younger kids really do love this shabby furniture. Glad you were there for your dad. My FIL is 89 and is in rehab right now after having a hip replacement, so I can understand to a certain extent what you're going through. Oh, and I can think of a dozen uses for those bins!!

Me and My Stitches said...

So sorry about your dad, but glad he is home and feeling better. Hopefully the upcoming party will perk him up! Love all of the furniture - the chair with the stars - so cool! I can definitely see that last piece in a sewing room for scraps. Don't you have a birthday or something coming up?!

Karendianne said...

Oh man, what great furniture. Thanks for taking the pictures and sharing. Glad your Dad is home …and you're going to be in film! :) Love it. You're closing cracked me up.

Jeanne said...

Glad your dad was able to return home and hope his spark returns soon. That Potato Barn place looks like a terrific place to shop. Thanks for sharing the cute photos.

Lori said...

How nice you are able to be with your dad and help him out. I hope the party is full of happiness, memories, and lots of laughs.

Darlene said...

Oh, I haven't been to the Potato Barn in years - since it was in the barn. LOL

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope things are getting better.

Sue said...

Hope you dad continues to do well and you have a fab party for him.

Potatoe Barn looks like a fun day out.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Some people call it freaking out husbands, others simply know it is a way to get them to stick around longer as it actually jumpstarts their heart when they might have been thinking about drifting off into complacent about us lala land. We are learning just how short life can be. Covet, then create abundance for our own bountiful lives :) Such fun stuff!