Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Another sunny, but cold day in Mesa, AZ. And by cold, I mean it is 54 degrees, so don't feel too sorry for us. I have to wear a sweater when I go outside! Pretty brutal, huh?

Since Christmas is over I have gotten a couple little projects quilted that I made last year. You may recall that I am not much of a machine quilter, unless it involves straight lines. So when I can accomplish this and it turns out OK I am happy! Here are a couple of examples:
 The first little quilt with the trees is one of my free designs from a few years ago. Initially it was much larger, but I decided to make a few that are much smaller, and they were great for gifts. It measures 12-1/2 inches, as does the little one next to it. That one is a Cheri Payne design that she had on her blog several months ago, HERE. Check Cheri's blog for a new project she is sharing right now!
 This little quilt was born from extra little 1-1/2 inch 9-patches left over from another Cheri project that I showed HERE. Cheri calls it Sew Thankful. I just got that one quilted too. The beautiful blooming amaryllis is from my Dad. He bought it for me before Christmas and I have watched as it sprouted from that big bulb and bloomed. A family tradition I guess. My Mom used to get one every year, so I always think of her when I see one.
 Sew Thankful, all quilted and rather dull looking in color, but the perfect primitive looking quilt. Thanks Cheri!

 Finally, I want to share this darling copper bucket that I picked up at TJ Maxx for $10! Can you believe it? I love the shape and the color, with some blue showing as copper does when it becomes oxidized.  Then the darling frame my aunt gave me.
 Finally, a little showing off. This is Isaac and Ellie, my son's children, who came to spend Christmas with us this past December. Oh, and George, who I dare not forget, as he demands his own chair at the dinner table. It is pretty clear that babies make the world go round. They certainly make our world go round!

I am so hooked on Hulu and Netflix. I love watching complete TV series, one episode after another! I got into Once Upon a Time and watched two seasons and am now caught up. Also, Scandal is a great show! I am caught up on all episodes of that as well. Now I am into a series called Flash Forward. Most of these I can watch while sewing, but Flash Forward requires concentration. Are you watching anything good?

 

14 comments:

Cathy said...

I recently got hooked on Homeland, which I watch via Netflix. I'm almost done with Season 1 and will have a long wait until Season 2 is available to me.

I can't watch TV while I sew but I do listen to music.

Katie said...

Yay for Netflix. I've finished watching Rosemary & Thyme and have moved on to Midsomer Murders. Now I just need them to make season 2 of Downton Abby available. :-)

Paula, the quilter said...

54 degrees? Oh I wish. We have had subzero temps. It's been so cold, until today, that I couldn't even go outside. Can you say cabin fever?

Angie said...

Your little quilts are ALL wonderful---I love my Christmas topper that I made from your pattern. Now I want to go make all of the other Cheri Payne quilts too. :) I'm caught up with her current sew along and I love it. :) The grey/nine patch quilt is wonderful---I love it---and did you get two of the buckets?? One for you and one for me???? :D Your GC are precious, Marcie, and how sweet that your Dad got you the Amaryllis. It sounds like life is good for you and I'm glad. :)

regan said...

Your little minis are all so darned cute! I love them! And there is nothing dull about that 'Sew Thankful' quilt....it's gorgeous! I love it! Sweet pic of the grands! :o)

Kindred Quilts said...

I love mini quilts and yours are so cute. I like the smaller Christmas tree mini... putting it on my list! I recently watched the first two seasons of Downton Abbey on Netflix and I'm hooked! I love the convenience of watching shows on my schedule!

Darlene said...

You've stayed busy - way to go!

Your grands are adorable!

I hope you're feeling much better.

Ruth said...

I love your little quilts! I've never made such small 9-patches, but I love them, so maybe I'll give it a try sometime. Grandchildren are such a blessing! We have been visiting one son with a 4 yo daughter - such a fun age. So, I've been playing dolls with her. Just gave her a vintage doll bunk bed that I fixed up with bedding. I can't really watch TV while using the sewing machine so I listen to podcasts with an earpiece from my IPhone. I love netflix and will probably subscribe again when we get home from this trip. I especially enjoy the some of the BBC series. Thanks for the tip on the programs you enjoy. I might check them out. I always work on handwork while watching TV and the only good think I've seen lately is Downton Abby.

Me and My Stitches said...

I love all of your mini quilts! And those grandbabies are adorable - so cute! Have you seen the show "Nashville"? It is one of my new favorites.

Lori said...

Love your little quilts, but those grandbabies are adorable!!!

Sue said...

Just love your mini quilts ! You have inspired me to make a few for gifts this year !

Libby said...

Your Christmas design is still one of my favorites - love to put it out each year!
It's 'cold' here, too. I'm even wearing socks! Unheard of *s*

Rosa said...

Those little quilts are super nice!

Karen said...

I can't keep up with where you are at. You get around more than anyone I know. Are you still in Arizona?