Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Summer Progresses

I was perusing Ebay the other day and look what I found! Not only that, I won the bid for it, so I am now the proud owner of a really straggly, well used, deteriorating old quilt! And so why did I buy it? It was advertised as a cutter quilt, for one thing, and I had to save it from that fate! Also I love the old indigos on the pink. A wonderful combination!

 At first glance I thought the block in the lower left was a square of dark fabric! But no, it is a shoofly block with literally no contrast! Do you think quilters of old did this just to be playful as we do today? These blocks are 9" squares. I adore the zig-zag setting! Now here is the funny part, to me at least. It is virtually the same pattern as my Pioneer Trail!
 Pioneer Trail done in prairie colors, but the exact same block and setting! And here I thought I designed this pattern! Seriously, "nothing new under the sun", as they say!
 Meanwhile, back in the sewing room there is little to report. Little blocks that is. These are three inch blocks. Simple enough for even me to accomplish without much sweat! A new design in the works!


 

17 comments:

Jan said...

Good for you for saving this one. The shoofly is such a happy block, I think!

Janet said...

What a wonderful antique quilt!! Lovely indigos - it is well worth saving. It's been well loved :0) Amazing how similar to your Pioneer trails quilt. I love the little blocks you are working on - can't wait to see what they develop into. I especially like the subtle substitutions.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Ohh, I love those little blocks. Looking forward to new stuff.

Linda said...

That looks like a great old quilt..so glad you saved it from be cut up!!

Taryn said...

I also like the indigo and pink combination. Glad you saved that one in its "whole" glory.

julieQ said...

I love to puruse the section of cutter quilts on ebay too...have not bought for a while, but this one is tempting!!

julieQ said...

I love to puruse the section of cutter quilts on ebay too...have not bought for a while, but this one is tempting!!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

So glad you saved that quilt from being cut up! I love the pinks and navys together...what a fabulous combination!

sewprimitive karen said...

That will make for a very interesting comparison of the two.

*karendianne. said...

Great get on ebay!!! How fun to see its the same setting as Pioneer Trail and what I do love is the reinforcement that we're doing what quilters have always done. Nothing new under the sun. Same basics with new twists perhaps, ha?

Oh you and your designs. Looking forward to seeing what's on your mind here...

Anonymous said...

Bless you for saving the pink and blue quilt. The fabrics are great.

Libby said...

You are a quilt hero - so glad you saved this one from the fate of cutters *ugh*

Anonymous said...

You saved the day (OH..QUILT!!)
I reckon when summer winds down and the cool days of Fall are among us we will want to return to our sewing nest for a bit more piecing.

Annette said...

Wow! Your little 3" blocks are sweet! So fun to have a lovely vintage version of your quilt...makes it all the more special

Lee Prairie Designs said...

As Jane said---I am happy too! Neat that you saved this wonderful vintage quilt. Just think of the ladies that visited while quilting and the great conversations they had with each other years ago!

Your new blocks are great! Thanks for sharing. I am new to your blog and follower---I will visit you again soon!

Carolyn :)

Polly said...

I guess I haven't looked at your blog in awhile. The quilt you bought on ebay reminds me of the old quilts Chris's Aunt Mary has that I borrowed once and we took pictures of. Remember? It was also pink. I wish I could have those quilts but what would I do with them anyway? Your quilt Pioneer Trail is really lovely.

Katie said...

That's a fabulous quilt. I love the pink and indigo. I'd love to make one! :-)