Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Joy of Reading

I have spent far too much time playing with my Ipad of late and consequently have not read as much as usual. I enjoy my books too much to let them be overshadowed by ever changing electronic gadgets. Not to say I don't enjoy my Ipad. I do! I also enjoy reading books on it, but it is not the same as gripping an actual book and turning the pages. Plus I haven't outgrown the need to peruse the shelves of bookstores, or scan through the best sellers at Sam's Club or Costco. Many times my husband and I read the same books, and then I often send them to my dad or my children. Good books are meant to be shared! 


Recently I finished reading Dreams of Joy, by Lisa See. This is a great book! Fascinating and frightening in its historical setting in Red China. It follows the journey of Joy, the daughter of Pearl and May in the book Shanghai Girls. You really must read Shanghai Girls first! Lisa See is an American of Chinese descent. Her family's history is amazing (On Gold Mountain) and she draws on this history and their experiences in her writings. I often see books reviewed on blogs that I read, and I find that helpful and enjoyable, so I thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

And then there are QUILT STORIES! I love them! I read two good ones on blogs recently. There are probably lots more out there, but I am not straying very far afield these days. Check these out for good reading, I know you will love them:
Please let me know if you see other stories I can add to this collection. 
And here are those darling twins again. Can you believe how they are growing! Coming up on 5 months old!





7 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Aren't the twins absolutely precious. So healthy!

QuiltingFitzy said...

I just got a Kindle for my birthday, and am 1/2 way thru my first book. No, it's not the same, but I have more respect for my electronics! lol Unfortunately, my library doesn't support this e-reader type yet, but promises to by the end of the year.

So fine...now I've started an excel spreadsheet with "books recommended by quilters", because you KNOW they just are THE BEST!

I particularly love all the Amish fiction.

Gypsy Quilter said...

I have finally figured out how to download off of my libraries audio book site. They just got it up and running recently. And I'm so glad to have more books to choose from. How lucky we are to live in a country with so many good books available.

Those lil' guys aren't so little any more. But goodness, they get cuter every day.

Libby said...

I got a Kindle this year and have just loved it. Once I reached the age of reading glasses, my reading dropped off - to hard to read in bed. Kindle lets me make the font BIG :-)

Elaine Adair said...

I wasn't going to comment about the book - I'm not reading much, but soooo glad I scrolled down to the BABIES!!!!! Darling! Lucky you. 8-)

Quilts And Pieces said...

The twins are just so cute! And you know, it has been bothering me all week. I knew I wanted to email you about something, but for the life of me I just could not remember about what. Well you post kicked my memory! I know we read a lot of the same books and I wanted to tell you about 2 really good books I've read recently.
"The Call of Zulina" by Kay Marshall Strom and
"Darcy's Voyage" by Kara Louise (this is a kind of a rewrite of Pride and Prejudice but was really good)

Becky Pitcher said...

FYI: They are coming up on SIX months old.