Thursday, April 15, 2010

WRAPPING UP AN ANCESTOR QUILT




I have been puttering around with so many odds and ends, trying to finish something! Well finally I can call this top complete and ready to be quilted! In fact I made two just alike. One is for our family reunion and one is for me! The family reunion this summer is for the descendants of Will and Carrie Payne of Mt. View, Alberta, Canada. Will was born in Cottesbrook, England in 1866. He went to Canada as a young man and joined the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Carrie was born in Utah in 1875 and traveled with her family north to Alberta to settle just over the U.S. border in Mt. View. She and Will came together there and at the age of 19, she married him.They raised ten children in a cabin on a sheep ranch. I have no idea how many descendants there are of these two. Several hundred is probably a low estimate. My grandmother used to say that the good Lord must have loved them because he made so many of them!

This reunion is to bring us together to recall our history and our heritage and to honor those who paved the way with sweat. sacrifice and service. These were honorable hardworking people who set a standard that the rest of us are continually trying to live up to.

Making this small quilt has been a joy as I embroidered the names of this beloved family on each block. I know my grandmother would have loved this!

ADDENDUM:  I got this pattern at the Corn Wagon in Springville, UT, 801-491-3551.
The pattern is from Leslie Ison and Norma Whaley of Salt Lake City, UT.

13 comments:

Ann at Prairie Primrose said...

What a wonderful way to commemorate a legacy of ancestors. Enjoy the reunion!

Jean :) said...

Hi Marcie... What a great gift that your Grandmother would love... It is beautiful... Great job... and have a great time at the reunion... :)

~Joan said...

Marcie, is that a homespun plaid border? I'm looking for a plaid border for a fall quilt, and I can't find anything I like. Is it loosely woven??

Looks great!!

Janet said...

Your ancestor quilt turned out wonderfully! I especially like the words embroidered in the border. And you made 2!! So where is the reunion? Will you be making a visit to Alberta? :0)

Gypsy Quilter said...

It's wonderful! What a treasure.

Kelli said...

Marcie how wonderful the quilt is and I'm sure whoever receives it will be truly blessed! Thanks for sharing the history story :)

sewprimitive karen said...

That is beautiful, Marcie. Your family members will be bidding on it for sure!

Judy in Michigan said...

What a wonderful quilt Marcie! Such a good idea done in a very classy way. I saw a quilt recently that had family pictures transferred to cloth and appliqued to the back. Maybe you have some pictures? or maybe an album to go with the quilt. Thanks for sharing.

*karendianne. said...

Oh Marcie, this is so wonderful and inspirational. Your family has such a long history of being "hard working" AND "prolific" (if you know what I mean, which of course you do!)


hee! hee! hee!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful work of art and memories for so many after.... I love the fabric choices too!!

Karen said...

Your quilt is bound to be an interesting conversation piece at the reunion.

Karen said...

Hurray for you! - for finishing, and for making one for yourself. What will happen to the reunion quilt??

Libby said...

Oh Marcie! What a treasure . . . . can't wait to hear the stories you bring back from the reunion *s*