Wednesday, February 10, 2010

MY OWN ADVENTURE LAND

I know my posts seem to get further and further apart, and that is because, as you well know, it is difficult to get anything done in the sewing room or elsewhere when you are glued to the computer. I did that for quite a while, and began to feel frustrated that I was showing little progress in other areas. So I am trying to limit myself. But the truth is, I do enjoy writing and I do enjoy visiting blogs, so I am trying to do it in a sensible manner. I am not commenting as often either. But I am still around and want to let you all know that. And there are soooo many quilt blogs out there now that if you come to mine less often it will give you a chance to visit elsewhere. Capice?

Last week I mentioned that I delivered Inca Gold to my quilter. Always such a relief to know it is done and on its way! Now at a loss for what to do next, because as you well know, there are so many things to do next, I started digging thru some storage looking for something small to finish for my grandson who has new bedroom furniture and needs a little quilty something for his nightstand to protect it from all the things that teenage boys toss on their nightstands. I pulled this little quilt top out of a box and decided to quilt it up at long last. I made it several years ago for a class demo. Now it is quilted and washed and crinkly and adorable. It measures 17.5 inches square, so it was just a little big for Kyle's nightstand. Instead I mailed it to his other grandmother in PA who is so wonderful and sends us chestnuts every fall for our turkey stuffing. I hope she likes it.
Back to the sewing room and more digging. I found all these split 9-patch blocks that I made several years ago. The pattern was in a magazine and it was supposed to be queen size. Well at this point I decided to just start sewing blocks together to see how big it would get. It is now 60" x 60" and I really like it. So I am re-designing to make it larger. Always an adventure when you find an old project to finish up. Hopefully next time you stop by I will have this top completed and I will have more pictures. 
The best thing about these projects is that there was no pressure to finish them for any particular reason. I sat and sewed up my stash of 2-1/2" squares into 9-patch blocks just for the satisfaction and pleasure of it. Ahhh. My kind of adventure. Enter the sewing room and see what happens!
Kyle's quiltlet is still waiting to happen. Another adventure awaits!

9 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

I could have written that same first paragraph myself - there's a lot of 'that' going around.

In the meantime, you'll be making lots of stuff, and will be posting it all - lucky us!

LOVE those quilts you have posted today. Simple, great stashbusters, etc. Great end result.

Connie said...

enjoy your blog to day, Andyour project or should I say Quilts are really pretty, you right the computer can take up your time and I have to limit my time also. I take care of my 2 and 3 year old while their parent work. but any I would love to post more of my project that I work on but my computer is old (like me) and I have to get my daughter to do this for me and she is busy also so it is hard for me to show pictures. HAPPY SEWING

Lori said...

It is all about balance huh? I too struggle with the same situation.

Your split ninepatch is stunning!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcie!
I absolutely hear what you say about balance between blog, quilting and family! Somedays I feel pulled in all directions and can't seem to focus. As of late...I've been better keeping blogging to a minimum with fewer post and more UMPH (is that a word)?
Hampton soon....get me photos!!

Karen said...

I love your split 9 patch!
Balance is a big problem for me!

Paula, the quilter said...

There seems to be a lot of balancing going on: I have dropped down to once a week posting and have found myself with more sewing time. The split nine patch wasn't in 'Quilt It for Christmas' was it? I pulled that pattern from that magazine and saved it because I liked it so much. Your quilt is spectacular!

Linda said...

Your split nine patch is beautiful...a great winter find!

Janet said...

I love what you've been working on - The colors in the small quilt are wonderful. I can't wait to see what you come up with for Kyle's nightstand.

Linda said...

I have the same problem. I love looking and reading other peoples blogs and looking at different websites but...it sure takes my other creative time away. I have to limit myself on the computer. It reminds me of a child, limiting their TV time. But Mom, 5 more minutes, please...
love your dig out projects, keep 'em coming, maybe you'll run across a quiltlet yet. hugs from snowy Texas, Linda