Wednesday, September 02, 2009

MY LOVELY PADDED CELL

Today I come to you from the confines of my padded cell. Some of you refer to your sewing space as "the sweat shop", or "the studio", or even "the kitchen". As for me, it will always be My Happy Place, where my walls are padded with layers of fabric. Some in the form of finished quilts, some on a soft wall in the process of design, and some walls are padded with stacks of my fabulous stash of mish-mashed fabrics.

I sadly have no real plan when I buy fabric, and I often chastise myself for my random purchases. But at the time of the purchase I am quite sure I felt I needed it desperately. Thus the title, Marcie Patch, Quilt Designer, Quiltmaker, and Compulsive Collector of Fine Fabrics. Sounds so much better than "Fabric Psycho!"

Oh, I actually do have a bit of a plan when I purchase. I love reproduction fabrics from the Civil War era. And that is about all it takes for me to cross the line from "shopper" to "psycho". My fabric stash is not really as mish-mashed as it would seem to the casual eye. Ninety percent of it is Civil War era, and the rest is about to be removed from my presence to a more accommodating home.

My favorite creations are those that combine newly purchased fabrics along side the old ones. It is such a thrill to me to pull out a piece of fabric that I have had for years and see it blend perfectly with something I just purchased. And I am rarely content to make a quilt from a kit or from a certain line of beautifully coordinated fabrics. What fun is that? A quilt like that contains nothing of myself in it. I need wiggle room. Even on the rare occasion when I buy a kit, I end up changing something. Actually, that is how I ended up designing quilts. I always needed to change something to make it my own.

I am not so pious as to think that my way is the only way. It is a big wide wonderful world of quilts, and each of us is free to decide where we fit in. We are all blessed with Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Scrappiness! (Oh my gosh, that is the perfect name for a quilt! Don't steal that, I am hereby copyrighting it!)


New topic. With all that is going on in our family this year, I started having nightmares in early August about not getting my Christmas projects done. For the past couple of years I have offered a free little Christmas quilt pattern, or, with a change of fabric, Hanuka if you prefer. We all recognize this traditional quilt pattern. Nothing too out of the box here. But just look at how cute it is with these fabrics! Don't fabrics just make all the difference?! It measures 22.5 inches square. I am working on the instructions for this quilt and it will be available for you soon. I will post a link on the top of my blog when that happens.

Hope you get some sewing in today!



17 comments:

Michele Bilyeu said...

You know, Marcie, a lot of clients in padded cells are quite happy there...especially if they're on the correct doseage of their medications.

Now, others, need timed-release uptake inhibitors...so those select few need to inhale constant doses of their medication of choice, and perhaps even fondle or play with its crumbs.

So, I suspect you fall into this category...especially when you appear to be high most of the time ;) I'm not disagreeing with the program here, you seem to be doing quite well, all things considered.

Take this darling little quilt pattern for example, you have done a fabulous job of enjoying your path in Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Scrappiness and based on the evidence now being presented, I think you can plan on many others entering into voluntary confinement in their own padded studios of choice.

As someone with personal experience in lay therapy, I volunteer to personally assist you in your pursuits and the propagation of your cause.

Excuse me, time to go lay down in my own scraps and medicate for a while!

Anonymous said...

Such a cute little quilty! And I totally understand your rhyme and reason for your fabricy purchases :o)

sewprimitive karen said...

From one fabric psycho to another, I think that seriously you have found your book title. Write that proposal!

Sherrill said...

WOW, we sound like two peas in a pod (actually, I think there are THOUSANDS like us! LOL). I think I've been brainwashed, though, into the "if you don't buy it when you see it, it probably won't be there when you come back" mentality. That's OK; I joke I'm saving up for my DH's retirement AND supporting my LQG at the same time. I LOVE my stash and have NO PLANS to quit adding to it.

Karen said...

We always "need" more fabric whether we do or not.
I will be looking forward to your little Christmas quilt pattern. I didn't participate on the one last year but am going to try to make time this year.

antique quilter said...

great little quilt! and just my colors :)
Love that border fabric oh how I would love yards of it!
that is a great name for a quilt
can't wait to see the quilt you will name that!
Kathie

Karen said...

I saw your grandson's quilt over at Mary's!! It looks great!! I bet you can't wait to get your hands on it.
Fabric collecting is definitely my obsessive compulsion. If I was to say I had an addiction to anything, it would most definitely be collecting fabric and quilting books!! :0)
I agree with some of the other bloggers comments about a great book title!! And what a perfect name for the quilt on the front cover!! You go girl!!

Anonymous said...

COPYRIGHT THAT...QUICK. I'm laughing and only you shall know why. I had a wonderful chuckle reading your blog post....I too can easily be a psycho but love your title...may I borrow it? Oh wait! Best not....STEAL that! Oh..I'm just ROFL.

Julie-Ann said...

Oh, Marcie - some day we have to meet. You have such a wonderful sense of both humor and yourself!

I just finsihed my "padded cell" (see my recent blog post) and can't wait to get things on the walls.

I haven't made any little quilts yet as being a newbie quilter they scare me! However, your pattern will be my first.

Thanks for giving me my first chuckle of the day. You're the best!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I have a plan for all the fabric that I buy. Too bad most of the plans don't come to fruition, and most of the time I don't remember what that plan was. I'm sure they were all good though!

The quilt is really pretty.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Love the quilt! And I love Civil War reproduction fabrics. I see a lot of bright, happy looking quilts and think they're lovely, but no for me. I like the serene, time-worn, I remember when fatrics. blessings, marlene

Ila K. said...

Oh, please! Make a blog badge: "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Scrappiness!" And Cafe' Press? I NEED a magnet for my car with this!!

Janet said...

I love your new Christmas quilt!!! Great colors! I still have to quilt the one I made from your last years pattern.

Wendy said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who buys fabric in a random manner. Sometimes I have to work with a kit for a shop sample and it drives me crazy to not put other fabrics in or change something. I'm obsessed with civil war fabrics. Your little quilt is adorable.

Judy said...

YUM, YUM, YUM!!!

Tazzie said...

Ohhh Marcie, I just love that little quilt, I can see myself making a whole bunch of them.
Fabric Psycho - I like it, it fits me well!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

julieQ said...

Hmmm, I have never seen you at the asylum? Are you in one of the little dark rooms, with soothing music? Hee! Your quilt is gorgeous!