Friday, September 07, 2007

STRING DOLL QUILTS



I had to jump on the band wagon with these little string doll quilts. Lucy's method is on my sidebar with her tutorial. I didn't realize quite how small hers really is. Mine is probably twice the size of Lucy's and Dawn's. Of course, now I want to make a smaller one! Love that cheddar!


Dawn made the two little quilts pictured below. I swiped her photo. I tried to find it on her blog and link to it, but I couldn't find her blog entry for it. She is off to Quilt Camp, so she will never find out. (Cause blogs are so private-Ha!) Dawn used cheddar in hers, as did Lucy. Suddenly my CW fabrics are starting to look a little blah. I am in trouble if that happens because that is all I ever buy. But just look at how that cheddar color perks up a quilt! When I first started quilting I only bought mauve and blue. I guess we do change, thankfully!
Addendum: Because I never found Dawn's post on this, I forgot that Lucy actually made the little 4-patch quilt and she and Dawn traded! Guess they were the original doll quilt traders!

I added a new tutorial to my sidebar list. Wendy did a really nice one on applique using starch. It is a great method! I have actually used it myself with great results. Check out her blog, Snippets of a Quilter!
If you have read about my family on my blog you remember that I mentioned that we are a nutty group. Not just one of us, but pretty much all of us. I was talking to my Dad the other day and he mentioned going out to eat with my aunt and uncle. He said they were talking about his funeral again. My Dad is never shy about bringing it up. He has made it very clear to all of us that he wants to be cremated and then have his ashes buried with my Mom. My aunt was questioning him about what would become of his ashes. She didn't know the plan. Her husband said that they put the ashes in trays. She was still puzzled by this, and my uncle said, "you've heard of ash trays?"
And with that, I will wrap it up for today!

10 comments:

Libby said...

That's it! I know I MUST make one of these. I just love them . . . each and every one *s*

Tracy said...

I love these! You inspired me to make a little quilt for a dollhouse myself:) Next, I will try one of the string ones. Thanks for the inspiration!

Mary Johnson said...

I've got several more doll quilts planned and yep, a string one is one this list. Yours looks great and mine won't be tiny either.

Kim said...

I can't believe how tiny those are! I'm sure there's cheddar CW fabrics out there--I know we had a Jo Morton pattern a month or so ago called Cheddar and Chocolate (doesn't sound all that tasty, does it?!). Guess you'll have to go fabric shopping, huh?!

Darlene said...

It's darling! I remember when Dawn made those two - talk about small. LOL

Judy said...

Yes, you just gotta love cheddar!! Love the not-so-tiny quilt!!

Lucy said...

Ohh And I forgot to reply on this adorable mini! They show up everywhere :-) ILOVE the result and I am flattered that you are inspired by mine...

( btw, I made the little four patch quilt and send it to Dawn, a kind of miniswap ;-)

Yvonne said...

Love the "ash trays"....LOL

I can't believe how tiny those quilts are....not sure I would have the patience for that. They sure are sweet as is yours. I think I like the idea of having it a bit larger like yours.

Unknown said...

Your Mini's are soo cute. What a good way to use up scraps. I used to make a lot of mini's . Used to sell pretty good at the quilt and antique shows I used to sell at. I'll have to show one of my special ones soon.

Jenni said...

Never fear - the cheddar green and red from ranges like Lancaster County by Judie Rothermel are considered Civil War. Maybe you need to branch out into other Repro eras too to cover all bases.