Wednesday, February 07, 2007

OLD CROW SAMPLER

I finished this cute little Blackbird Designs project called Old Crow Sampler and framed it this past weekend. I happened to find a frame at Michael's that worked great! He turned out pretty cute, didn't he? Even my husband likes him! He is from the book Fresh From the Garden; published in 2000. I bought it recently when the BB girls were in town. It was suggested in the book that the alphabet could be done free hand, and so I gave it a try and it turned out great. It actually wasn't difficult. I think the material that I used was helpful because the threads were large and I could actually follow the weave somewhat.

Yesterday two of my friends came over and we had an all day workshop playing with fabric. We are planning to make the Blackbird Designs quilt Home Sweet Home. We are hoping that if we work on it together we will keep each other motivated. Plus, it is fun to do projects with friends. We select fabric together and share tips and opinions and ideas, etc. We all picked our fabric for our first block. I worked on mine last night and am getting excited about the whole project. This whole applique thing is a new venue for me, and I am enjoying it.
My sewing room actually was presentable for my company yesterday. It really helps so much to have shelves and storage convenient for knowing where to put things away. I have never had that before this year! Isn't that nuts? I am so thrilled with it! My fabric is sorted by color, mostly. Wow, what a concept! Organization--it really works!
I haven't been spending as much time blog hopping as I did before Christmas. I try to catch up a little every day. But I need to focus on my projects too, so please forgive me if you don't hear from me quite so often. I will stop by your blog when I get a chance. I really enjoy the blogs, but it sure can soak up time so that nothing else gets done. I am striving for balance. Is that possible?



12 comments:

Nancy said...

Very nice job on the crow sampler. :-) And if you find a way to balance quilting and blogging please let me know. I'm finding I have to let bloggins slide a lot or I don't have time to quilt. :-(

Melanie said...

I love this sampler... I need this. I'd put it on the corner of my mantle. It's now on the wish list. I've written the book down. Thanks for sharing...

Angie said...

What a cutie, Marcie! You make the cutest things, girl! Sounds like a really fun day yesterday at your house! It will be great for the three of you to work on that together...much more fun doing it with friends, isn't it?? :) And, oh dear, I do know about blogging eating up HOURS of time...:P Have fun on Home Sweet Home!

Quilts And Pieces said...

The old crow sampler is wonderful! And it does look perfect in that frame!

Jeanne said...

Very nice!!! I knew it would be :)
The frame is just right.
Jeanne

Susan said...

Love the sampler. Envy the day spent with friends!

Carol said...

Love the Old Crow sampler...that alphabet is just great.

Cher said...

what a fun project to complete-I agree, I get around the blogs a lot less and therefor get more quilting and other stuff done..it's hard to not want to keep up with my blogger friends however!

Granny said...

He turned out real cute and the frame is perfect!

Unknown said...

I have just started blogging and I am allready addicted. So many nice things (like your crow!) keep me from sewing. I particularly like the scarf. It makes it so unique.

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, I love blogging but it sure is hard to find a balance. The crow piece is super nice. And finished. And framed! I wish I could start that Home Sweet Home with some friends, that is the perfect way to approach it to keep going on it through to completion.

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, I love blogging but it sure is hard to find a balance. The crow piece is super nice. And finished. And framed! I wish I could start that Home Sweet Home with some friends, that is the perfect way to approach it to keep going on it through to completion.