Sunday, August 06, 2006

TREES AND CHICKEN FEET


I haven't had much time for blogging as I am still at my daughter's in Minnesota. She has gone to Hong Kong with her oldest daughter. Last school year they had a girl from HK living with them as a foreign exchange student. Now they have the opportunity to go visit her family and see the sights. She says they are non-stop eating. especially dim sum, which the Chinese love. It is actually like little appetizors so you get to taste many things. When I spoke to my granddaughter yesterday she said, "We thought we had eaten Chinese food before. We hadn't! They offered us chicken feet and bird saliva...". I know they eat chicken feet, but she may have been joshing me on the saliva. Then again... They also ate lots of wonderful food and came away stuffed. The HK family is showing them a wonderful time.
The quilt I posted is a Debbie Caffery pattern that I made a couple years ago. It is from Open a Can of Worms. All 2-1/2 inch strips, remember? Daughter has it hanging, but it was hard to get a good shot. It was quilted by Becky Kraus of Bellevue, WA. She did a grest job. I tried to arrange the trees so that the ones that looked snow covered were on the top of the mountain, so to speak. I ran out of background fabric when it came to the setting triangles, so substituted something else. A carpenter once told me that if something doesn't quite work out the way you planned, you make it look like a detail that you intended to incorporate. Great advice!
Meanwhile I am enjoying the baby-15 months and sooooo cute! She says lots of words, tho lots of times you have to know what she is saying. I was holding her and pouring a diet coke. She was watching it fizz and said "Wow". Such sweet simple things bring such pleasure!
I am trying to catch a couple blogs each day, but will have so much to catch up on when I get home. You all offer such a wealth of information and inspiration. I want to clean-up and clean out and sort and stack and scrap and stash and create and make Tonya's designs and make Judy L.'s scrap quilt and make an Ostrich, plus make all the quilts that Patti showed us, and on and on and on..... I want to do it all! Don't feel bad if I didn't mention you, I want to make whatever you are working on also!

8 comments:

Linda C said...

I think I would pass on those chicken feet and how, pray tell, do they get a hold of some chicken saliva?? UGH--I do hope they were kidding you on that one.

Dim sum are delish though. I lived and worked with a Chinese woman years ago and she used to make them. I wish I had learned how she made lo mein though.

Sweet P said...

Isn't it amazing how a toddler can bring a smile and a giggle to an adult? I bet grandma is having a great time babysitting. Don't worry about the inspiration going away. But the time you get back home I bet there will be even more inspiration!

quiltpixie said...

what a wonderful opportunity you've been having to spend some quality time with your granddaughter. enjoy!

Eileen said...

Bird saliva? I don't think so. What great stories they're going to come home with. Toddlers are such fun, they discover something everyday.
I know what you mean about the inspiration. It's overwhelming!!

The Calico Cat said...

She was telling the truth about the saliva... & They pay a premium for it!

It generally comes from birds nests that are harvested (after being abandoned) from inside caves - where people risk their lives to collect them, the saliva keeps the twigs together...

Mary Johnson said...

I like the trees - I just bought one of the Can of worm books a week or so ago. She has some cute quilts in it.

Finn said...

Great snow on those mountains Marcie!! And an inspired idea. I like that pattern alot. I think you did a great job!
So glad to hear your running hot with inspiration for when you get home..LOL
Winter is coming, hopefully you'll have all the time you need..*VBS*

Shelina said...

I think the setting squares look better in the pink than they would have in white.
great job!
I like that advice "A carpenter once told me that if something doesn't quite work out the way you planned, you make it look like a detail that you intended to incorporate."