Thursday, October 24, 2013

Lincoln's Promise


 My life has taken a dramatic shift and therefore so has my attention to blogging, quiltmaking, etc. Here is the deal. My 90 year old dad became quite ill in September and my siblings and I felt he should not be living alone any longer. The most logical solution was for him to move in with me and my husband in our Arizona home. So I flew to Arizona earlier than I intended, and my brother came from Minnesota with his two sons and they moved Dad and his belongings into my house. Dad's health has greatly improved, I am happy to say. His strength has increased and so has his desire to get back behind the wheel. That is our only bone of contention. Aside from that, things are going well. He is hooked on Netflix and watches lots of TV, and I am attending to his needs. I am happy I can be here to help him. Don't expect lots of new patterns from me however. That department has taken a back seat to Dad. Life changes, doesn't it? 

Before I came back to AZ I had the pleasure of designing a quilt with some fabric that Marcus sent me. The fabric is from a new line by Pam Buda of Prairie Women's Sewing Circle fame. Her quilts are wonderful and so is her fabric. I have had the pleasure of getting to know Pam as we email back and forth. Her new fabric line is called American Gothic and if you follow the link you can take a look at it. It is all wonderful little black and cream prints. I combined just a small amount of red with those beautiful prints and came up with this design that I call Lincoln's Promise. Somehow all the black prints made me think of Abraham Lincoln as he was always seen in his black suit and tall black hat. Lincoln has been called Honest Abe for his reputation of honesty. A promise made was a promise kept. Here is a man to whom all politicians refer, but few actually emulate.  So here is my small tribute to a great American President. May he long be remembered and cherished as one of our greatest!


 
 Photo: I just got this back from Mary Flynn of Quilt Hollow fame. She did a beautiful job quilting it for me. The black and cream fabric is from Pam Buda's new fabric line called American Gothic from  Marcus Fabrics. Love it! Thanks Pam and Marcus! Now I have to get to work on the pattern!

 By the way, if you are going to Quilt Market in Houston the quilt above will be hanging in the Marcus Fabrics booth, and the quilt below will be hanging in the American Patchwork and Quilting booth.


Photo: Do you have your copy of American Patchwork and Quilting, Dec 2013 issue? Check out my quilt, Star Patch! As always, their display and photography are outstanding!

“Used with permission from American Patchwork & Quilting® magazine. ©2013 Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved

I hope you have seen this quilt in the Dec. 2013 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting. I had lots of fun making this quilt and yes, it took a while! But this is what I love, playing with little pieces of colorful scraps and seeing what comes of it. I love traditional designs, and I have fun making them a little unique to give them my signature. 
 “Used with permission from American Patchwork & Quilting® magazine. ©2013 Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved.

 
I have to show this additional quilt as well. It is designed by Pam Buda and is made from the American Gothic fabric line. It is just gorgeous! Check it out at Homespun Quilts, Pam's website. I just noticed that Fat Quarter Shop has it kitted, if you are interested. 

On a totally different vein, I HAVE A NEW GRANDDAUGHTER!   
 Photo: I have a new granddaughter! Meet Olivia Ann Patch, 7lbs 7oz. What a treasure!
 Her name is Olivia Ann Patch, 7 lbs. 7 oz.
Isn't she the sweetest? I am now blessed with 9 grandchildren. Three boys and six potential quilters! Plus Micah and Grey--my great-grands! 

All is well with the Patch family! Thanks for stopping by!



20 comments:

Darlene said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad, Marci. However, I am very happy to hear that he's improving.

I'm in love with your quilt featured in AP&Q. It's stunning.

Take care!

belarmina said...

su entrada es muy, muy tierna !!!!
la felicito por su trabajo, me alegro que el padre este mejorando
y su nietina (como decimos en mi autonomia ) es lo mas precioso espero verla haciendo patchwork
saludos

Lori said...

I'm so happy to hear your dad is doing better. Driving.... oh yes, we know too well that is a difficult subject for the elderly.

Love your Honest Abe quilt and the fabrics are beautiful! I'm with ya as Abe is my Fav president!!

Yvonne said...

Hey Marcie....happy to hear your Dad is doing better. So wonderful that you can be there to take care of him. I was thinking about you today.....glad to hear from you!

Kelli said...

LOVE Lincoln's Promise!! It is gorgeous. Kudos to you for caring for your Dad - caring for elderly parents isn't easy and I'm glad you made the choice to do it!! Blessings to you as you walk with your Father at this time in life.

Kindred Quilts said...

Yes, life changes and we must adapt our lives to care for loved ones. Our time and devotion is a small sacrifice for what they have given to us. Blessings to you and your family Marcie. (Love Lincoln's Promise... and Olivia too!)

Caro said...

Bless your heart! You are doing a very important thing taking care of your father. I look it as a gift. You will never have any regrets.

Katie said...

Those boys are potetial quilters too! :-)

My dad agreed to give up driving when he turned 90 but it took him a few months to hand over the keys. Much relief all around! Since we were nearly killed by a 92 year old driver a few years ago it wasn’t a very hard sell. I’m glad to hear your dad is doing well!

Janet O. said...

Oh, I so understand about your Dad. My Dad is 90--he lives 5 miles away, but Mom is still with him and two of my siblings live on the same block with them. I spend one day a week helping them. And just Tuesday I found my 85 year-old MIL lying in her driveway--broken hip. We are now taking turns with her at the hospital. DH and I just got home from her bedside.
Your Dad is lucky to have you, and I am happy to hear he is doing better there.
Isn't Pam's new fabric line gorgeous? You have made a wonderful quilt from it!
I can see I am going to have to find that issue of AP&Q. Beautiful scrap quilt, Marci!
Oh, sweet, sweet new little one. Nothing better!! : )

Janet said...

I saw your quilt in AP&Q - scrappy wonderfulness! I like the Honest Abe quilt too. Sorry your design genius has to take a back seat - the quality time with your Dad will be worth it I think.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Every bit if this post speaks awesomeness! Love every single thing you are doing, Marcie!

Me and My Stitches said...

So sorry to hear about your dad, but it's great that he is feeling better. Driving is a tough thing, isn't it? That is such a huge independence that most people just don't want taken away. Your quilts are just beautiful, as always! And your new little granddaughter - adorable! Take care - hope you have some time for you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are with your dad...enjoy, enjoy! Life is so short when we look back.
Your family is growing beautifully! Congrats!

Mary said...

How wonderful you can take care of your dad. You will cherish this time together some day.
I always love your quilts and look forward to when you can get back to it.

Melanie said...

Blessings will come back to you ten fold. And you kids are watching....I love your quilting.Hang in there....

Heartspun Quilts said...

Your time with your dad is exactly what you should be doing and it's a blessing you have that you're able to do so for both of you! We will all await the lovely designs that will be coming in the future.
I, among many, can't wait for Lincoln's Promise to be released. I loved it from the moment I saw it and am so happy that you chose American Gothic in making it!! Thanks for your support and friendship, Marcie. I can't wait to meet you!

Heartspun Quilts said...

The time you're spending with your dad is precious for you both. You're exactly where you need to be. We all await the lovely designs that will be coming from you in the future!! You know how I adore Lincoln's Promise from the first time I saw and I'm honored you chose to make it from American Gothic. Thanks so much for your kind words and I can't wait to meet you, my friend!

onlymehere said...

I've been away from blogland myself for awhile. I've gone back to school at the university near me and don't have much time for anything other than that. I also took my dad into my home many years ago after mom died. It was hard (had the same driving issues, which he definitely should not have been doing). He passed away seven years ago and I've never regretted caring for him. I'm glad I stopped by to check in and see your fun new patterns and learn what's up with you.

Rose Marie said...

Glad to hear your Dad is doing better. He is probably being utterly spoiled by you and his health is improving as a result.

Congrats on your new GG and your new quilt patterns!

Jeanne said...

Congratulations, Marcie, on your beautiful, new granddaughter, Olivia! She is precious. I love the quilts that were featured in Houston and wish I could have seen them in person. Glad to hear that your dad is doing better, too.