Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mid-Atlantic Quilt Fest

Yesterday was one of those days we quilters wait all year for:  Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival! It is held in Hampton, VA at the Convention Center. I drove up there with my friends Joan and Sue, as usual. We start out together and get separated very quickly as we each see things that interest one of us more than another. So many different things for so many different quilters. Look what I spotted right off the bat--our friend Karen's book, A Bountiful Life! She would have been delighted with the setting as it was nestled in with nice rolls of wool and other cozy things.

 Minutes later I ran into Mrs. Goodneedle! We hugged and visited for a few minutes then met later to visit some more. Love that lady! One of the benefits of blogging is making some wonderful friends, such as Karen and Debbie.
 
 Notice the booth we are in, Attic Heirlooms, and the neat stuff they have. The quilt in the background is awesome. Check out their website. Lots  of wool and primitive, etc.

I ran into another friend, Janna-the president of Bloc-Loc. I met Janna and her husband Paul in Houston at Quilt Market a couple years ago. Their booth was right by mine. They totally sold me on their product and now I can't function without their amazing rulers. Their rulers each have a groove in them that gets placed on the seam line of a half-square triangle so you can trim it accurately. The groove locks in on the seam for greater accuracy. These are perfect for a scrapper like me because I am always trimming down triangles and flying geese. Yes, they have one for flying geese and they keep coming out with new ones. Be sure and check their schedule because they go to shows all over America and if you are a block trimmer you must have these rulers. They are only distributed through Bloc-Loc! I had to get a new 1-1/2" HST size because I left mine in Arizona.

Other purchases? Well, I made out OK. I bought titanium coated sewing machine needles at the Superior Threads booth. I had to get these after watching the very interesting and informative videos on their website. When you have some time you really should watch THESE. At least the ones that look interesting to you.
I also found fabric. Can you believe it? Honestly, I tried to resist, but there were a few that I had to have. Barbara Brackman's Battle Hymn  fabric is wonderful! From Moda Fabric.
One booth that I am always happy to shop is called Traditions of the White Swan. I always come away happy from that booth! They are from Hagerstown, Maryland and have lots of kits on line. Last year I bought the whole collection of fat quarters of Little Pink Stars, and designed a baby quilt that will be in McCall's Quilting magazine--June issue, so keep an eye out! This year I found this darling collection of grey and blue Buggy Barn prints from Henry Glass. I wonder what these will become?

Finally, I broke down and purchased this beautiful basket. I have been looking at these for years each time I go to Quilt-Fest. They are made in Africa and come in all shapes and sizes. The beautiful bag is a gift from my friend Sue Cruthers who made it for my i-pad! Isn't it the cutest thing?! I LOVE it!

All in all, it was a great day! I will post another day with a few quilt photos. There were some awesome quilts this year!
 
 

10 comments:

Karen said...

I bought one of the baskets a few years ago at a fruit market. Less money than at the quilt shows. They are nice baskets. Mine has worn well thus far.

sewprimitive karen said...

I wonder if there's a place in Georgia to find those baskets? They're cute. The iPad bag is just adorable. Thank you, thank you, Marcie, for showing my book displayed in the booth; it does indeed look great with such harmonious surroundings!! Marcie,you are looking good!!

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, and meant to say, Hagerstown is the greatest most historical town. You are so lucky to live in the Virginia area!!

Me and My Stitches said...

Looks like a great day! Love all of your purchases, but especially the basket. I have several of them and love them all! They have an online store that has an amazing variety that constantly changes. I seem to think I need one of each!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

We did have fun, didn't we? I have snagged your photo of us, don't know WHY I didn't hand you my camera too. It was a great time made even better by terrific friends and fabulous quilts.

Katie said...

Is that one of the French Connection baskets? They are so popular. One day was just not enough to see everything at the show! :-)

Libby said...

What a fun show! Love running into buddies while shopping my way through all that quilty goodness *s*

Angie said...

Just look at the two of my most favorite people in the whole wide world---a BEAUTIFUL photo of you and Mrs. G!! :D Now look what you've done---I have fallen in love with that basket---and I'm drooling all over your new fabric purchases and ipad bag...LOL

Ulla's Quilt World said...

So lovely! :)
www.quiltworld2.blogspot.com
Hugs, Ulla (from Finland)

Linda said...

Love your blog... just found it via Tara/Pin... had no idea!