Wednesday, March 10, 2010

SPOOLISH PLEASURES



Just a little quickie on my spool quilt, or klosjes, as they call them in the Netherlands. Apparently this spool addiction has spread far and wide. See Valentina's blog for some beautiful pictures and also how to pronounce klosjes.
I decided to forgo a pieced border and instead I added a plain border of what I call army green. It is a Jo Morton fabric and looks as old as the hills, which is why I love it. It gives the quilt a very old look I think. That little brown plaid spool that Karen made just kind of pops out! Karen made me a dozen little spools, and she has set-in seams in hers, so they all show this little square in the center. I mixed them in with mine and Joan's, which were made in a much simpler manner. I didn't want to give them back to her, they were too cute!

Speaking of Karen, I have threatened to send her racing goggles to wear as she races through her sewing projects. I have this image of her in my head with a racing helmet strapped to her chin and a maniacal look on her face as she grips her machine and puts her foot to the pedal. Check out her blog and see her Inca Gold quilt that she has already completed and quilted! What a woman!


14 comments:

Darlene said...

Cute, cute, cute and did I say cute! I love it Marcie!

Sue said...

Marcie I love it. You might want to have a look at my blog, You will see all your Williamsburg Medallion quilts that I taught here in the UK.
You kindly sent me the patterns last year.
www.isewquiltsuk.blogspot.com

sewprimitive karen said...

So spoolish and darling, Marcie! I do have that maniacal look on my face when sewing but you forgot to mention the talking to myself part ha. Yes, the cats and I have slept under and on top of Inca Gold for two nights already; we are happy critters.

Valentina said...

Oh Marcie! How gorgeous!
A truly beautiful quilt!... oh don't do this to me... I think I might need to make some bigger spools to make a quilt like yours :)
Thank you for coming to find me, I and sooooo pleased to meet you, and will be back to visit your blog with a BIG pot of tea!
:)
Greetings from Cyprus,
Valentina

~Joan said...

That looks marvelous, Marcie. Still waiting for 2 of my 25-spool sets. When they arrive, I will make my spools top priority.

Thanks for sharing!

~Joan

Annette said...

What a beautiful quilt. I too have been seeing those spool blocks all over the place. Very, very tempting.

Paula, the quilter said...

Those spools are darling. I need to get back to sewing.

Janet said...

I love that quilt too and on point it looks fabulous. It does have the old look, oh dear I may have to do bigger spools one day.

julieQ said...

Really pretty border fabric, I like the 1800's look of it. I have not made a spool yet...but I am tempted!

Karen said...

I love seeing your spool quilt. I like the blocks on point. A very good setting.

Janet said...

You are very clever with words :0) I love your spool quilt - its really lovely!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love it, even if I can't pronounce it~

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Your spools are adorable.

Béa said...

Very beautiful, I love the on-point setting & will surely use it for mine. Hugs from France.