Sunday, April 19, 2009

LOSING IT


The grip of growing older is becoming more firm. Right now the grip is firmly around my left thigh as it burns and cramps up on me if I am on my feet for a while and mostly while I am in bed sleeping. It has turned my favorite place of refuge, my bed, into a pit of potential pain! Doctor gave me medicine for the pain and told me I have some arthritis in my joints. But it is my thigh muscle that hurts! Since January! 

And then there is the problem of my brain cells. You can almost see them fleeing like rats off a sinking ship. I was looking for something in the file of paid bills yesterday when I came across our most recent cable bill with the check I had written stapled to the back of the bill. Apparently I mailed the cable company the carbon copy. Duh!

I have been doing goofy things like this for a few years (or more, depending on who you talk to). Recently I was at Home Depot inquiring after an octagonal window that we need to replace.  I was checking sizes and what have you, when I actually asked the man what the circumcision of the window was. Yes, I did. Fortunately, I don't think he was really paying any attention to me. I have reached the age of invisibility. So I picked the remaining crumbs of my brain up off the floor and ran for the exit door.


Speaking of invisible people, I imagine Susan Boyle was feeling that way as well, until this past week. You have probably seen clips of this British woman on TV, as everyone is trying to cash in on her now. If you haven't seen the YouTube film, you need to watch the whole performance. It is a stunner! I have never seen an expression of awe like this on Simon's face before. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk

Watch this and rejoice in the talent of an ordinary person with an extraordinary gift!  


19 comments:

Karen said...

There is much humor in your post today! I enjoyed reading it immensely.
I have watched the Susan Boyle You Tube thing a couple times. Amazing! It gives all of us hope!

sewprimitive karen said...

I think it isn't going to matter how often I watch Susan Boyle sing that song, it makes me cry every time. So she's been singing around her little flat like that all her life? It's just wonderful and amazing.

I'm doing the same absent-minded things now; it is quite frightening and I have to watch myself at work very carefully.

Snippen' Threads said...

I feel your pain, Marcie. I've been doing strange little things for a while now. Most of the time no one else knows. How long can we hide our faux pas?? Susan Boyle made me cry as well - what a tremendous gift.

Sue said...

My Mom says that getting older is not for sissys & I have to agree! I think having constant pain really makes the memory problem worse, but really if you take notice a lot of people, even my kids in their 20s, do the same thing pretty often, I think I'm just more sensitive about it.
I hope you're feeling better soon, if not just keep bugging the doctor until he listens or get a new one!
Susan Boyle made me cry, I hope she stays just the way she is.

Libby said...

Seems like I spend more time searching for a word, my keys, or asking myself why I came to a particular room these days . . . . I suppose it's all part getting older, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to fight it every inch of the way *s*

Carol said...

Oh Marcie, I'm right there with you...the old brain cells seem to be fleeing way to fast. My mom (87) keeps reassuring me that I'm fine. LOL! She says we all just have too many things going on in our heads, and that we hold on to way to much stuff in our heads...she suggests that I clean some things out. Hmmmm, wonder what I can get rid of. Hope your feeling better. I think there are some vitamin supplements that help with cramps.

Anonymous said...

Oh, hope you get feeling well soon...as for the other forgetfulness stuff....we all have it..you are not alone. Trust me! Sometimes I wonder about myself.

Lea said...

Marcie, I laugh so hard! You sure have humore and wit even you don't feeling well. :-)
Hope you feel better soon.:-)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

OK, now get this, I couldn't remember my phone number this morning. I really couldn't, I had to turn to my daughter in law and ask her; risking my own pride and possibly worrying her. Oh, well; I never call myself... right? I am right, aren't I?

Don't take the leg pain for granted if it doesn't go away, get it checked again. Make someone listen to you.

Yvonne said...

I can relate to the missing brain cells. :) I hope you get some relief with your leg....as Mrs Goodneedle said, make sure the dr listens to you.
I really enjoyed Susan Boyle and I hope so go far....such an incredible voice.

Liz said...

So what exactly IS the "circumcision" of your window??

Thanks for starting my day with a laugh!!

Unknown said...

oh my goodness, I can't stop laughing!
Oh silly woman, I am so excited to see you and be there for all the fun.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh way too funny about the circumcision!!!!

Janet said...

I am sorry to hear about your joint pain. Also - very funny story about circumcision. I've got missing brain cells too. Susan Boyle's singing is really something - I loved watching her performance.

limpingalong said...

Yes, Simon's look was priceless!

*karendianne. said...

See, regarding Home Depot...

This simply reinforces what I've always said: We can dress you up but can't take you out in public! Still, an embarrassment to the family!

Kim said...

Marcie, I'll keep a look out for your missing brain, but I can't promise I'll return it--I may need it for spare parts! ROFLOL!

Finn said...

Say there old friend, what is this about you being so under the weather? It can't possible be that age is creeping in....not us!!!!
Seriously, I'm so very sorry to hear you are hurting. I know all too well the lure of that nice warm soft bed when everything seems to ache at the same time. Hope these are better, less painful days ahead. It's way too soon for you to be slowing down! Hugs, Finn

Nana B said...

Oh my friend I hate to tell you this, but it only gets worse. I keep going around trying to find my missing brain, but then I forget what I'm looking for. But the pain thing, make sure someone listens to you, and mean while take an excedrin PM, it helps at night.