Friday, March 02, 2007

LITTLE PINK PLUMPKIN

I don't often post pictures of my family, but I couldn't resist this one. This is my youngest grandchild atop a snow bank at her house in Minnesota. Or Minnesnowta, as they call it this time of year. Doesn't she look like a little pink plumpkin? I love that we can exchange photos so easily by email these days. She will be two years old in May. Look out Patti at Quilting is my Passion and Carol at Brown Quilts (both new grandmothers) these babies don't last nearly as long as we would like.
It wasn't that long ago that my first grandchild was born (pictured in the 2nd photo). She is now almost 18 and a senior in high school. She has been accepted to Brigham Young University and will be on her way in the fall. Does she look old enough to leave home? Was I really that young when I left home for college? It doesn't seem possible. I was a kid when rock and roll was born! Now it is something I do while trying to raise myself out of a chair! Not that I am really complaining. Life has its seasons and I have enjoyed them all and whatever season I am in right now, I am enjoying that too! (I just have to be more careful!)
I thought I would mention a couple of good books that I have read lately, in case anyone out there is interested. I recently finished THE WIDOW OF THE SOUTH. It is a story of a woman in deep depression due to the death of her children. When a general of the Confederacy comes to her door she is told that her home is being taken over as a hospital for the wounded soldiers in her area. It is not her desire to nurse them, but she does what she must, and it becomes a driving force in her life. In the end, she has thousands of soldiers buried in her backyard and she has painstakingly identified and marked each grave. It is a fictional account of a true story. Absolutely amazing.
Another book that I thoroughly enjoyed is PEACE LIKE A RIVER, by Leif Enger. It tells the story of three children being raised by their father in Minnesota during the 1960's. The story is told by the middle child. He describes himself as a witness to miracles that his father seems to perform. The characters in this book are so endearing and well defined. The little sister writes poetry and by the end of the book you are hanging on her every word. This is definitely a book I will read over and over. I read lots of murder mysteries and enjoy them, but a book like this will become a classic in our family library. Let me know if you read these or have read them, and what you think.

5 comments:

Libby said...

Where does the time go? I can hardly keep up these days.

Angie said...

She's adorable, Marcie!! :D And your daughter is beautiful...I have no idea how we got old enough to have kids leaving home! :) And your analogy for rock and roll is hilarious!! LOL

Sweet P said...

I thought I was the only one who called in Minnesnowta. I guess not. Your youngest GD looks cute on the snow pile.

Your oldest GD looks like one smart young woman.

It is amazing how time flies when it comes to our children and grandchildren, isn't it?

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I'm going to look for 'Peace Like A River', thanks for the review. Your little pink plumpkin is a cutie-pie!

Marla said...

Gorgeous family. Time is sneaky isn't it!